Sending Jerky to Soldiers (NOW WITH Q-VIEW!)

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by bigjonbbq, Jan 7, 2011.

1. bigjonbbq

bigjonbbq Newbie

Guys,

My Brother-In-Law was deployed to Camp Leatherneck in Afganistan 2 weeks ago and already he has called and said that the snacks they have their are crap and wants some of my jerky/snack sticks to give to the guys over there.

I'm planning on making about 30 lbs of Jerky and vacuum sealing, then shipping it via UPS or USPS standard rate boxes.

My question is, will this be OK to ship over there or are there any weird rules about what you can and cannot ship to soldiers in The Stan?

Thanks,

JT

2. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Send a PM to Todd Johnson - he just sent a bunch of stuff over there around Christmas. He traded his smokers for stuff for the troops and shipped it.

3. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Yes it is alright to send him some snack sticks and jerky but I would make sure and cure them too. This will prolong the time that they can be without refrigeration. Our son was in Iraq a few times and I sent him sticks many times.

4. Thats really wonderful you are sending those boys something from home. I had a buddy over there and he said the same thing about little things like good snacks that you miss while you are over there. Those guys and girls love it when they get good stuff from home. [​IMG]

5. placebo

placebo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Good on ya JT[​IMG] Jerky was my main staple during Desert Shield/Storm, couldn't get enough of the stuff. Like Mark says though do make sure it is cured properly so they can ration it if need be. Jerky really is the perfect protein that you can carry in your ruck for long periods of time without it spoiling. Begs the question why the hell hasn't the military figured that out and start adding it to the MRE's Or have they?

6. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's great that you are sending over some jerky to the men and women that serve. I should have done the same thing when my brother in law and a few buddies where over there. I can't think of anyone that I directly know that is over there right now but I bet there is a general place I could send stuff and it would get used and appreciated. I should look into that. Anyone know?

7. bigjonbbq

bigjonbbq Newbie

Here is the recipe I'm planning on trying this time....The Tenderquick should be enough cure for them to keep in a vacuum seal bag for a few months correct? (I'm only using Ground beef, no Venison)
    • 2 pounds ground deer meat
    • 3/4 pound fatty ground beef
    • 2 teaspoons canning salt
    • 1 teaspoon Morton® Tender Quick®
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper powder
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

8. bigjonbbq

bigjonbbq Newbie

[​IMG]

Here is the first 20Lbs of Jerky....Measured out, it is right about 250 Feet of Jerky!!!!! I have another 20lbs of Jerky in the Fridge...Hoping I can get it on the smoker tonight as we are expected to get around 4inches of snow in Georgia tomorrow (which is alot for us Southerner's)

JT

9. dale5351

dale5351 Smoking Fanatic

My son is deployed to a country in the Mid-East on the Gulf.  He said that his office mates voted for jerky, so you're making a good choice.

Todd collected a number of addresses for his Christmas care packages, you might PM him to see if he'll share with you.

Someone posted a message about things *NOT* to send.  Only thing I can think of from memory of that list that might be relevant is "no pork".

10. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Here is what I posted in another thread a while back.

11. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I did not have one complaint from all the stuff we sent over to Afghanistan.

We were told not to send pork, liquor, tobacco products or dirty magazines.  If you know the person receiving the care package, it's OK to send "Home Made Goods".  We were told not to send them, but responses from the soldiers were that they don't throw anything out!

Also keep in-mind, that things are sometimes dirty and dusty, so resealable packages are great.

A U.S. Postal Service large Flat Rate Box costs $12.50 to ship over to a military base.  Pack it tight!

Todd

12. bigjonbbq

bigjonbbq Newbie

Here is the first finished batch of Jerky....

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. bigjonbbq

bigjonbbq Newbie

Here is the finished total of Jerky and I've started cutting it into 1 1/2" - 2" pieces to package.[​IMG][​IMG]

14. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's awesome!  Good on you!  Tell your BIL thank you and to stay safe.