Salmon, first try

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fowldarr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
Oregon Coast
looking good so far....

Attachments

• F0002212-DBA2-4F2D-8A57-2876A5433751.jpeg
    F0002212-DBA2-4F2D-8A57-2876A5433751.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 78
Salmon is so variable, anywhere from barely poached to dry jerky. One thing is for sure, once you learn a method you like, you'll never again pay big money for someone else to smoke it for you.

Well, here is what I did (and I think it turned out great).

First, I went fishing, between my wife and I we caught our limit of Salmon, two each. (It was a blast, got some crab while we were out and about as well)

I brined the salmon for 36 hours, salt, white and brown sugar, pepper, garlic, lemon, orange, and whatever else I threw in there.

Let it air dry (with a fan on it) for four hours to develop the Pellicle.

Put it on the smoker at 150*, for the first hour with some apple wood, glazed it with some honey and bumped the temp up to a little north of 175, watched the IT closely, glazed it one more time, and pulled it between 130 and 140 IT (There were a lot of pieces there so I had some variation in temps).

Turned out great.

Mine turned out pretty good the way I did it. Not too sweet, but just enough. The sweet really complimented the smoke flavor. I'm at work right now, so I'll have to watch the video later.

It drove me crazy.

Every recipe I had said it was necessary, it’s protected by the 36 hour salt brine as a sort of cure.

ahh okay I didn't know about the cure but yea still. My wife will leave chicken out and it skeeves me out. She really tries to get it to room temp. After an hour....I won't touch it. haha

We like salmon around here, and yours looks mighty good. I usually leave sit in uncovered in the fridge to from the pellicle

Point for sure
Chris

Just realized I never posted a ‘done’ pic

Attachments

• 9E53E70C-5B37-4BD2-9233-D170D101952E.jpeg
    9E53E70C-5B37-4BD2-9233-D170D101952E.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: IH 1026
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky