Rolled my first fatty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

David Leopold

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
C1D8EB63-D8A6-45A9-986B-C68477216240.jpeg C9C2FA10-4E21-4E48-9556-B1DFECA9F61F.jpeg 328EFDDD-6816-459C-A58F-D1E22193322F.jpeg 2E33B640-B8C1-49A7-99AE-1712E3C2B665.jpeg F54A89B6-A4B0-4784-AFB7-DD938092BDAB.jpeg Well, being that I live in Canada and it’s now legal to do so, I finally rolled and smoked my first fatty yesterday. Lol

1lb (ish) of what I call “warm” Italian sausage. I make it myself from ground pork shoulder, SWMBO doesn’t like spicy so I just tone down the Italian recipes.
Layer of Black Forest ham
Onions
Orange peppers
Cheddar
Mozzarella
Chopped bacon (my own smoked belly bacon of course!)
Grating of pecorino Romano cheese
Rolled up and then bacon weave, I’ll hang my head in shame here because I used store bought for this.
My own rib rub on it

Smoked in the MES30, at 250, with hickory and cherry, until IT hit 165. Took just short of 2.5hrs.

Sliced and put on burger buns, and it was INCREDIBLE!!

Already planning my next one. Probably a pizza version. Really want to do a breakfast one but I don’t look forward to trying to wake up in time to smoke it for breakfast. Haha

Nice looking first fatty. Excellent job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Gmc2003, thanks for the 2 part instruction posts you made! I used them as a guide for this first go at it.

Looks real good for first. Believe me there will be plenty more rolled & smoked fatties to come. Pizza fatty is real good. Some times I like to keep it simple ( maybe lazy). I use a box of good mac & cheese only. Plus they have all kinds of different varieties

Glad they helped. Don't be afraid of smoking a fatty a day in advance. They reheat well. The only exception I can think of would be a fatty with some type of breading as part of the stuffing(muffin, pancake, etc). It may get to soggy.

Chris

good stuff... looks very good...My family like it even more since I started to roll row of hard boiled eggs on top of the cheese and other stuff and then rolled..

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky