Roast Pork Butt for slicing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hntrss

Original poster
Jan 9, 2018
I was thinking about smoking a Butt for roast pork. Any suggestions? I was thinking 225 until the stall (160-165). Has anyone tried this?

Pork butt for slicing can be tricky. Some can be done at 170 others at 195*(195 is real close for pulling with some butts - be careful). I've only done one and pulled it at 185*. Sliced it very thin on my slicer and it was real good. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out. Remember all butts are all a little different as far as fat content.

Chris

That’s my fear, if I take it to high it will fall apart.

I used to slice at 185 , and still think that's a good temp for slicing . The last one I did , I boned it out and put it in a net . Ran the smoker at 250 , and pulled the roast at 152 and let rest til cool , then in the fridge . I was doing this for sandwiches . Might be to pink for some .
20171009_151652.jpg

I used to slice at 185 , and still think that's a good temp for slicing . The last one I did , I boned it out and put it in a net . Ran the smoker at 250 , and pulled the roast at 152 and let rest til cool , then in the fridge . I was doing this for sandwiches . Might be to pink for some .
View attachment 363303
I think the OP wants the pulled pork taste/texture in a slice.

190 is my preferred temp for SLICING pork shoulder roast. Yes, it will be edible at 165* but the texture of the connective tissue is FAR different. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you want. It will be firmer for sure. Atomic- I am with you in that if you want the buttery and juicy pork roast texture, go with the higher IT temp. This is where you want to be if you would do one in an oven also. My favorite way for slicing pork roast is actually is done in a Dutch Oven.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky