Roast guidelines

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tlevan03

Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Chesapeake VA
I have a 3.5 pound roast that I want to smoke on Saturday. I don't have much experience with smoking beef. What temp should I set? From what I was reading was about 250*. There also seems to be a big range on IT. I think I want it done medium and that's around 140-145*. Im just looking for some clarification, I tried a London broil a few weeks ago and it cooked way too fast. I do have a good thermometer. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

250 is a good temp for your smoker.  Last ones I did (2- 6 lb ers)   I pulled them at 142 and rested for about a half hr in a cooler covered with a bath towel . When I sliced, They were pretty rare for us. So I  put each slice under the oven broiler for just a few quick minuets to darken them to each persons liking.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Pull the meat and rest when the IT is 5 degrees shy, counter rest, or 10 degrees shy if cooler resting for a longer period. Carryover will finish the cook...JJ

Here's about a 2.5 pound bottom round that I smoked at 225 to an IT of 135. Took it out, foiled, and covered with some towels for about 2 hours. I think it took about 3 hours.  Don't exactly remember.  I thought it turned out perfect!!!

82f176fe87d872d8d63eb43a3f92df5f.jpg
55df82c56b40f35c9130474a777ad608.jpg

So here it is. I got the smoker up to 250* and put the meat in. After one hour I added wood and put my probe in. At 1.5 hours I was already at 140*, is this normal? It seems that beef cooks quite a bit faster. So I wrapped it in foil and turned the smoker off. The meat sat in there for about two hours and maintained an IT of 145-148. It still turned out pretty good.

Why wait an hour to add wood? What type of smoker are you using? Beef roasts that are not cooked to well done to tenderize the meat do cook pretty fast depending on size. I only counter rest cuts of beef that I don't want well done personally.

I use a master craft 30" electric. I got distracted with the kids right when I put the meat in and forgot to add the wood right away.

I use a master craft 30" electric. I got distracted with the kids right when I put the meat in and forgot to add the wood right away.

I know how that could happen!

82f176fe87d872d8d63eb43a3f92df5f.jpg
55df82c56b40f35c9130474a777ad608.jpg

So here it is. I got the smoker up to 250* and put the meat in. After one hour I added wood and put my probe in. At 1.5 hours I was already at 140*, is this normal? It seems that beef cooks quite a bit faster. So I wrapped it in foil and turned the smoker off. The meat sat in there for about two hours and maintained an IT of 145-148. It still turned out pretty good.

For lean beef roasts like this it's more about the thickness of the roast and not the weight that determines the cooking time. Same is true for pork loin.

So what I do to get the most smoke is to run the smoker around 180-200.

We like our roasts on the rarer side so I pull them at 130. Rest for 30-45 minutes before slicing. I do not wrap I looslely tent in foil during the rest.

Thanks dirtsailer, I'll try that next time. Like I said, I don't have much experience with beef so this is a learning lesson. Thanks again

Alright, I'm going at this again. I went to the butcher and got 4.5lb prime rib. Today I will put the SOGP and Worcester sauce, wrap it overnight. I plan on getting it in the smoker around noon-13:00 at 180-200*. How's that sound? Thanks

Here is the aftermath. I kept the smoker around 190*. It took about 3.5 hours to get to 135*. I pulled it and wrapped it.
d86ca76364705f8001ebe2ec6081e351.jpg
8e6a2f8e8b0e26523bcdb35423ce44cc.jpg
4dc5b5b73e61a1d8e196f879b9ba737e.jpg

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky