Reverse Seared Prime NY w/Crawfish Cream Sauce!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sideways question..... I saw you have a Hexclad pan in one shot. Thoughts? worth it? You're the first person I've known with one, lol.

And the sauce looks amazing, will definitely be trying it!
Thanks JeepT!

We have a full set of Hexclad's. Here is a write up from back in January (look at post #26).
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smothered-grilled-ny.318749/page-2

To add to what I said before (above), with an additional 6 months more use (almost exclusively) they are not showing any wear or scratches from metal utensils and such, however, we haven't abused them, ie not using a knife or forceful scraping, and hand washing, just similar use as a typical non-stick. We still have a nice set of non-stick fry pans that my wife does scrambled eggs in because the hexclad requires the use of oil or butter (more than my wife wants to use) to keep them truly non-stick. I do my sunny side up eggs in the Hex, but I add oil. Outside of that they are the best set of pans we have owned or used. We have a 13 piece set now and we are saving up to add about another 9 or so pieces and then we will be "set".

Just know we still have some non-stick frys (8, 9, & 12) and we have a full set of 3-ply stainless, and we have a "number" of cast iron. All that said the Hex carries 90% of the cooking load.

I'd probably just end up putting the crawfish cream sauce in a bowl and eating it like soup. Maybe cut up a steak and dunk a piece here and there.
LOL, Doug, I can't get the image out of my head of you sitting in the recliner with a bowl of crawfish cream sauce dipping slices of beef in while watching TV....

I can tell you that I went from a piece of steak and then back to a crispy russet and then back to the steak....It was a tennis match of flavor!

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE
Thanks JeepT!

We have a full set of Hexclad's. Here is a write up from back in January (look at post #26).

To add to what I said before (above), with an additional 6 months more use (almost exclusively) they are not showing any wear or scratches from metal utensils and such, however, we haven't abused them, ie not using a knife or forceful scraping, and hand washing, just similar use as a typical non-stick. We still have a nice set of non-stick fry pans that my wife does scrambled eggs in because the hexclad requires the use of oil or butter (more than my wife wants to use) to keep them truly non-stick. I do my sunny side up eggs in the Hex, but I add oil. Outside of that they are the best set of pans we have owned or used. We have a 13 piece set now and we are saving up to add about another 9 or so pieces and then we will be "set".

Just know we still have some non-stick frys (8, 9, & 12) and we have a full set of 3-ply stainless, and we have a "number" of cast iron. All that said the Hex carries 90% of the cooking load.

civilsmoker civilsmoker Thank you for the information on the HexClad. They sent me a whole set a few weeks back plus a new product they just came out with that's specifically designed for grilling/smoking. I'll be reviewing these shortly but I always like to hear reviews from folks who have been using the products long term.

Longevity is the sort of thing that's hard to review up front.

Great information!

civilsmoker civilsmoker Thank you for the information on the HexClad. They sent me a whole set a few weeks back plus a new product they just came out with that's specifically designed for grilling/smoking. I'll be reviewing these shortly but I always like to hear reviews from folks who have been using the products long term.

Longevity is the sort of thing that's hard to review up front.

Great information!
You are welcome Jeff. I will be very interested in hearing what you think about them. I just looked and saw the new BBQ grill pan....I'm intrigued! It's also an indication of the "coating" or anodization they have, i.e. rated at 900 degrees.

I will try to do a more detailed write up for you over this next week or so for you. One of the pans we have had since before last Thanksgiving and we have used it about 4-5 times a week on average since then. I will take some close ups for you as well. It appears to me that the "coating" is hard coat anodization over stainless steel which should be very durable by design.

The other thing I will say is they are extremely responsive in temperature range and very uniform in distributed heat....I will show a few tests for you on this.

Reactions: TulsaJeff
Seriously great cook! I'm blown away! Outstanding job!

Attachments

• kYDFjVbwjtLjjUb3pJpCka2tWeDXHM-4810-front_1024x1024.png
    kYDFjVbwjtLjjUb3pJpCka2tWeDXHM-4810-front_1024x1024.png
    724.4 KB · Views: 6
Thanks JeepT!

Great information! Thank you. Based on your (and some other opinions on this thread) I'm going to splurge and buy some. Looking forward to some of your other tests of them. Thanks again for the thorough review.

Seriously great cook! I'm blown away! Outstanding job!
Many thank Buckey!
Great information! Thank you. Based on your (and some other opinions on this thread) I'm going to splurge and buy some. Looking forward to some of your other tests of them. Thanks again for the thorough review.
You are welcome JeepT, we were on the fence about them for a while (we first saw them on GR next level chef show) as there is "always" the new thing that's the best and hence the reason we got a single fry pan to try out....... Both my wife and me knew when we opened that box that we had done a "bad" thing..... My daughter on the other hand realize she was going to get mom and dad's hand me down pans, so she was all in!

As I mentioned above I am working on a couple tests to show the features and will post that under its own post, hopefully next week. I will document with lots of pictures.

You are welcome Jeff. I will be very interested in hearing what you think about them. I just looked and saw the new BBQ grill pan....I'm intrigued! It's also an indication of the "coating" or anodization they have, i.e. rated at 900 degrees.

I will try to do a more detailed write up for you over this next week or so for you. One of the pans we have had since before last Thanksgiving and we have used it about 4-5 times a week on average since then. I will take some close ups for you as well. It appears to me that the "coating" is hard coat anodization over stainless steel which should be very durable by design.

The other thing I will say is they are extremely responsive in temperature range and very uniform in distributed heat....I will show a few tests for you on this.
What little I've used them has been nothing short of impressive. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures and write-up.

Reactions: civilsmoker
I happened to go with the wife to Costco yesterday and these monster thick prime NY’s screamed at me……
View attachment 668152

Ran these in the RT 1250 @ 180 (super smoke) for about 2 hours till they hit INT 105….. they got nicely kissed with smoky goodness
View attachment 668153

Now for the sear……on the Weber sear station, screaming hot fat side first….
View attachment 668154

Rotation 1…..View attachment 668155
Missed rotation 2 but here is 3…..these were 2 min sear times……man oh man the sear station is HOT
View attachment 668163

Once all the sides were seared (INT 120) I transfer them to the upper rack to finish…..
View attachment 668158
Pulled to rest @ INT 130…..oh man I can’t wait to cut into them!
View attachment 668159

The boy did his magic searing on some baked Idaho russets we had left overs yesterday…..

View attachment 668156

The wife made up a white wine cream sauce and finished it with some crawfish tails….(this was my boys idea for a sauce to the NYs)
View attachment 668157

Ok the slicing moment is finally here…….oh this brings tears to my eyes…..a perfect INT 135….
View attachment 668160

The slices all plated up…….
View attachment 668161

Father’s Day prep money!!!!
View attachment 668162

Oh man there are those rare cooking sessions when the stars, planets, and the whole universe come together to create one of those unforgettable experiences…….well this plate experience will never be forgotten!!!! This was the best tasting textured piece of beef I have ever had…..I only hope to experience it again.
A double "Hell Yeah!" "Hell Yeah!"
Man do I love a good New York, and Costco often has some great New Yorks.
Love that crawfish sauce, what a great topping!
And the color on them taters, yum!

A double "Hell Yeah!" "Hell Yeah!"
Man do I love a good New York, and Costco often has some great New Yorks.
Love that crawfish sauce, what a great topping!
And the color on them taters, yum!
Many thanks chiler! Yea these NYs were magic, the crispy tater din the sauce were well I still dream about the flavor!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky