Reverse Seared Hanger Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ishi

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 30, 2018
Once I retired from my same job after 40 years I work a couple days at the local locker. The hanger steak always gets made into burger but when my son and I bought a 1/2 beef the guys in the slaughter room were instructed to take mine out before the carcass was split.
The Hanger is a different cut and fun to reverse sear which is my go to method for steaks if time allows.
IMG_6694.jpeg

After 3 hours on the smoke and on the grill grates searing up.
IMG_6695.jpeg

Time to dive in.
IMG_6697.jpeg

Looks delicious! Great plated with the tater and beans! Nice job!

Ryan

Reactions: Ishi
Look really great. The hanger is one of my favorite cuts.
And yes, you won't find it at your grocery. I raise a cow for beef every year so I always get one. But there is only one per cow, although there is a membrane that runs down the length of the muscle that divides it into 2 similar long segments.
Here is video of grilling a hanger, with some Rev. Gary Davis accompaniment.

There is a butcher in town who is advertising hanger steaks. Pretty cheap also. I may go grab a few. Always wanted to try them. Thanks for the look.

Corey

There is a butcher in town who is advertising hanger steaks. Pretty cheap also. I may go grab a few. Always wanted to try them. Thanks for the look.
Corey
The hanger is a "gotta try" cut. I got one in the freezer I'm saving for a special occasion.
I have seen them at one local store (Star Market) that carries prime beef at premium prices (Wagyu ribeyes for $80/lb). I don't usually go there, but when I saw them one time I asked about them. They only get them once in a while and sell for something like $20/lb for prime hanger. It's such a good cut that you don't really need prime.

Reactions: Ishi and Coreymacc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky