Reverse seared cowboy steak (bone in ribeye)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wbf610

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 23, 2016
Near Allentown, PA
I’ve done a few of these, and every time I see them in the store, I have to buy them since they turn out so well.

Started with a 2.75lb hunk of meat. That’s your average size dinner plate. Sprinkled with kosher salt on one side, then back into the fridge for an hour. Flipped it, salted the other side and fridge for an hour. Pulled it out, seasoned with CBP and garlic.
4E089DEE-E734-4E4D-9C31-8546A44582A5.jpeg
7480D473-D7B3-4D99-811D-5E3878F75EC6.jpeg

Got the coal started, and dumped into the smoker, and let it come up to 240. Cleaned the grates, added some hickory and cherry chunks, and slapped it on. Let it go 20 minutes and put the thermometer in. Smoked until ~110. Then seared directly over the coals until 138IT. Was shooting for a post rest temp of 143, since we like ours medium. Tented and rested for 10 minutes. Sliced it, and ate. Wife and kid devoured the main piece, and I was stuck with the cap, oh darn!!

4AF2ADFE-46D0-45F7-9A1F-76CFB176AFAC.jpeg

9A6D300A-348F-47D7-9AEE-D0BEEE84FF48.jpeg
5BA2CB64-8094-4B64-8952-14212FD358AC.jpeg

You can see remnants of the grill marks, but I’ve come to realize the rest and foil tent reduce their appearance. Either way it was delicious. Really juicy.

Thanks for looking.

Looks really good to me. Not many cowboy steaks available around here.

Point for sure.
Chris

Vermont, we're kinda of steak limited especially in northern part of the state.

Chris

Vermont, we're kinda of steak limited especially in northern part of the state.

Chris

When I make a three hour trip to my parents, I bring an empty cooler. I stuff about 30lbs of bacon from a local butcher in it for the return trip. My wife is spoiled and generally can’t eat much store bought bacon any more after having that stuff. We’ve been out of bacon for a few months now. So I feel your pain. Been thinking of trying to make my own recently.

I bet if you start making the bacon at home she'll forget about the butchers. Our state has a small population. So the local grocers will only stock what they know will sell. We do have a Costco(fortunately), but for some odd reason I don't like to stock raw meat in our freezer. I'm more of a cook/smoke on a wim type of guy. I guess I just have to be in the mood for something that day or night.

Chris

What is CBP?
Cracked black pepper.
I bet if you start making the bacon at home she'll forget about the butchers. Our state has a small population. So the local grocers will only stock what they know will sell. We do have a Costco(fortunately), but for some odd reason I don't like to stock raw meat in our freezer. I'm more of a cook/smoke on a wim type of guy. I guess I just have to be in the mood for something that day or night.

Chris
10-4. I don’t often store much either, unless something good is on sale.

I’m planning on the bacon. Just need to learn more before I try it.

I have to tell the truth ,,,, I just looked at the pictures , but don't change a thing . Perfect .

Reactions: wbf610
I have to tell the truth ,,,, I just looked at the pictures , but don't change a thing . Perfect .
Thanks for looking. I was afraid the first time to try one for fear of messing up a good piece of meat. So easy to do, and my go to for steaks now.

OK , I just went back and read it .
I love a cowboy cut . I've done it in the MES with smoke to 120 then on the gas grill to finish .
On the kettle with smoke indirect , then seared .
In the sous vide at 120 for 2 hours then seared .
All good , but love the smoke I got on the MES .

Reactions: wbf610
OK , I just went back and read it .
I love a cowboy cut . I've done it in the MES with smoke to 120 then on the gas grill to finish .
On the kettle with smoke indirect , then seared .
In the sous vide at 120 for 2 hours then seared .
All good , but love the smoke I got on the MES .
I do these in my OK JOES 4:1 with royal oak briquettes. I’ll get a kettle next time I’m in need, and maybe cut down on the amount of charcoal needed.

I do them to 110, so my boy will eat it. Too much smoke and he doesn’t like it. He’s only 8, he’ll learn eventually.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky