Remote Thermometer questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

av8tor

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
I have a couple of questions regarding the use of the remote thermometers;
  • Where do you place the transmitter? The probe leads are not that long and the Tx housing is plastic so it needs to be kept free from heat.
  • Where do you run your probe lead into the smoker? Again the leads are not that long that you can go down to the lower vents and up again or up to the top vent and down. Are you going through the door gap or did you drill an access hole?

It will probably vary depending on the type of smoker. I have an ECB and I can place mine on the ground far enough away from the smoker that it won't melt. I run my probe lead under the lid. I thought about coming down from the vent, but that will make it more difficult when removing the lid.

I run my dual Maverick ET-7 probes thru the top vent of my GOSM Big Block. The transmitter is placed near the vent on a small 6" piece of 2x4 lumber on top of the smoker. I will load my smoker from the bottom up dropping in the lowest probe in when it's cooking grate is loaded. As I load cooking grates above the lowest probe the probe wire will get pushed to the back of the smoker. The probes will stay inside the smoker until all of the meat has been removed.

OK that's good to know then that the 2x4 is enough to insulate it on top. That seems like a good spot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky