Ref; New Bacon flavour idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Well as always when I get a twin pack of butts, it means one goes on the smoker, and another is being cured.

I recently did the berbere seasoning and I loved it and I want to try some thing else again. I'm thinking of ginger garlic seasoning. I'd follow Disco's instructions and add per pound 1/2 tsp garlic. 1/2 tsp ginger.

Any one want to chime in on this? I plan to do it tommorrow, don't want to much seasoning, but I still want it to be distinctive.

Well Jeeze Sonny.. :P

I just want the ginger and garlic to be present, strong, but not overpowering and that always seems to be a difficult balance when you have no reference point!

Season as you would S & P. Slice off a piece for a test fry and see where you are at. Go heavier if needed.JJ

Season as you would S & P. Slice off a piece for a test fry and see where you are at. Go heavier if needed.JJ
I never do the fry test oddly. I just hope for good flavour profile...

The problem is an ex smoker, my taste buds are still trash!

Reactions: SonnyE
Hey Tom, is your garlic/ginger for the smoker, or the cure???

if the smoker, could you cut your butt into two or three, and use differing levels of seasoning, and find the one you like best?
You'd only have to sacrifice one butt to learn what tastes best to you.

Tough to chew?? what? Yer butt? or yer carpet?

either way, I think you are doing it wrong.

Take your pick. My butt has been chewed by experts. I'm still here. :emoji_wink:
If the carpet had enough flavor, I could close my eyes and pretend it was tough jerky.

Reactions: nanuk
I never do the fry test oddly. I just hope for good flavour profile...

The problem is an ex smoker, my taste buds are still trash!

I'm with you, Tom. Never do a fry test.
But then, I don't taste cookie batter either. I want it when it's done.

And hey, if you quit 7 years ago, you've shed all those fried taste buds, Bud.

reminds me of a recipe for Carp.... lay the fillet skin side down on a board, season it up, and roast in a BBQ... when done, remove the Carp and eat the board.

I tried cooking a carp once. I didn't eat any of it.
Carp is just misspelled crap.

an old Indian Lady told me to learn to love carp, and learn to cook it, as it is a readily available food source almost anywhere in Canada.
I liken Pike to that... available almost everywhere, and easy to catch. Carp, helps if you use "Square" hooks.

Hey Tom, is your garlic/ginger for the smoker, or the cure???

if the smoker, could you cut your butt into two or three, and use differing levels of seasoning, and find the one you like best?
You'd only have to sacrifice one butt to learn what tastes best to you.
I'm going to do it in the cure. I tried a pepper ginger as a coating then smoking it, and you never taste the ginger when you use it as a coating.

I'm just not sure how much ginger carries through on curing. It's one of those seasonings I don't use alot, but then I try it in some thing and get inspired ..

Reactions: SonnyE
an old Indian Lady told me to learn to love carp, and learn to cook it, as it is a readily available food source almost anywhere in Canada.
I liken Pike to that... available almost everywhere, and easy to catch. Carp, helps if you use "Square" hooks.

Never ate any Pike.
But yes, Carp is Very abundant. If I had to, I can assure you I would eat it.
But I don't have to, yet.
No doubt, if that old lady fixed it, I would sure try it.
But mine was scary nasty. Went right in the dumpster.

pike from cold clean water has become my fav. Better than Walleye.

Tom, is using the flavourings in a cure... I wonder too how the ginger would carry over. I have only had ginger mixed into food, never as a infusion... if that is the term I am looking for.

keep us updated as to how you think it is turning out.

I'm going to do it in the cure. I tried a pepper ginger as a coating then smoking it, and you never taste the ginger when you use it as a coating.

I'm just not sure how much ginger carries through on curing. It's one of those seasonings I don't use alot, but then I try it in some thing and get inspired ..

I made a bunch of Jerky with Ginger. It was in the marinade. And came out pretty strong.
I didn't care for it, but some liked it.

Reactions: nanuk
Sadly my MES is currently down for the count and I've got some sorta bug. Suffice to say, this is being done in the oven. <Also we're in the middle of a blizzard>

I might have, smelling it post curing..gone overboard with garlic, we'll find out!

I dunno if it is my Ukrainian heritage or what... but I don't think I've had anything with too much garlic.

as a boy, my Baba would put a peeled clove on our plate to eat raw before the Sunday dinner! A little salt, a little butter and MMMMM... I would eat several.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky