Ref; In Search of Pate Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I'm back in a kick where I want pate and the only locally made pate for me has ..basically miracle whip as a main ingredient.

I'm curious to any good pate recipes <chicken or pork> that won't break the bank...and lack salad cream as the third ingredient ;)

So bring them on and lets see what I can try to make here with out going broke on things! <I've seen recipes calling for truffles etc and foreign words I couldn't pronounce but cost close to 40 dollars a package to buy. LOL>

Some of the pates i've done
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/liver-gizzards-hearts-pate-chicken.270185/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/canned-pork-pate-experiment.259515/

I also made one that had a mousse texture; the livers were ground raw, mixed with the other ingredients then sous vide cooked in small jars. Very fine food texture and appearance. I used a little sodium nitrite for colour preservation. This will give you a sterile product - keeps well in the fridge.

The basic recipe (probably the least labour intensive) is: fry livers with onion and butter or lard (schmaltz is better) until cooked; grind with more butter/lard. Grind them with spices. Mix in heavy cream. Pour in ramekins.

Last edited:
One thing about making pate is..well let us all admit. Livers have a unique aroma when cooked.

Do you guys cook outside? <I've been wondering if I could essentially grill the livers or some thing for the pate. Beyond the dogs going crazy I personally find the aroma unpleasent, even if end results are good>.

One thing about making pate is..well let us all admit. Livers have a unique aroma when cooked.

Do you guys cook outside? <I've been wondering if I could essentially grill the livers or some thing for the pate. Beyond the dogs going crazy I personally find the aroma unpleasent, even if end results are good>.
I wouldn't grill them...but you can cook them in a pan on your grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky