Italian Sausage 4-Cheese Lasagna Wraps (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Well Brian ( BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma ) you've mentioned a few times recently that you miss the homemade pasta dishes. Well my friend, this one is for you buddy :emoji_wink: As hot as it's been recently it's been difficult to get motivated to do much of anything except hang out in the pool sipping margaritas. We finally got a reprieve a couple days ago and the temp dropped to 98. We broke out the fur parkas, turned the furnace on, and I decided to make some fresh Semolina pasta, the recipe which I got from our good friend sawhorseray sawhorseray and it is flawless. Perfect pasta every time and WAY better than store bought.

Only had 2 eggs so just a half batch. It was enough for two meals though. The dough ball.
001.jpg

Portioned out two 115 gram balls to roll into lasagna.
002.jpg

Here are the two sheets of pasta.
003.jpg

Hang on the drying rack for a bit.
004.jpg

Trim both pieces of pasta so they are more consistent then cut in half. Add marinara and the 4 cheeses.
005.jpg

Defrost a package of my homemade sweet Italian sausage.
006.jpg

I made relief cuts in the sausages so they would lay flat then sliced lengthwise. Into a skillet with a little oil.
007.jpg

When the sausage is lightly cooked, lay a piece on each length of lasagna.
008.jpg

Roll them up gently and place into a baking dish.
009.jpg

Cover with lots more marinara and a ton of fresh shredded whole milk mozz.
010.jpg

I made up a couple of pseudo chef salads.
011.jpg

Lasagna wraps onto the grill.
012.jpg

Heated through, the cheese melted, and starting to brown up a little....exactly how we like it. Ready to serve.
013.jpg

Plated up with some cheesy garlic bread and the salad. Out to the patio. YAY!! Been too long since we've eaten outside and y'all know why by now :emoji_wink:
014.jpg

An over abundance of cheese perhaps? Nah. No such thing. I'm terribly sorry David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) I know how much you just LOVE avocados but there just wasn't a realistic way to incorporate them into this dish.
015.jpg

Sliced shot.
016.jpg

Hopefully the close up shot will make up for the lack of avocados :emoji_laughing:
017.jpg

Oh my God!! These were so rich and filling it was a Herculean effort to finish one of these, but I somehow managed to get through two of them before passing out. This is another one that I know isn't traditional Italian in the sense of compilation but the flavors and concept were 100% legit. It's just impossible to beat everything being homemade: the pasta, the marinara, and the sausage. It just does not get any better than that. One thing is for sure though, this is not a meal for the lactose intolerant :emoji_astonished: It was however a fun dish to put together and even more fun sitting down to eat. Sure was nice to enjoy some patio time also. Oh well, thanks once again if you managed to brave this one to the end. Went through the pasta process for Brian because he's been asking for a while.

Done now. Y'all take care and see everybody soon.

Robert

Damnnnnnn that looks great!! I'm with you too , no such thing as touch cheese! Funny enough I also went Italian in the kitchen yesterday making up about about a gallon and a half of a meat sauce. It was a Wingit Wednesday sauce. Plan on doing something special with it soon

Damnnnnnn that looks great!! I'm with you too , no such thing as touch cheese!
Thanks buddy. this was super good but insanely filling. Wow!! All that melted cheese was addictive though. Kinda had a hard time walking away from the table.
Plan on doing something special with it soon
Uhhhh....do you need my address? Bianca thinks I'm special so that should qualify :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Oh Yeah!!! Your pasta looks so good hanging there. So glad you broke out the pasta maker. Nice concept for the dish. I just got back from my favorite Mexican place and so full but I could eat some of that right now! Just got blood work and I taking a week off the low carb thing and might have to try out my pasta maker.

A1C came back good but I think he has my cholesterol way to low. Total is 107. Think I might stop taking the medicine for it. Tired of arguing with him about it.

1693510313608.png

Count me in on a few of those cheesearrific beauties Robert.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Oh Yeah!!! Your pasta looks so good hanging there. So glad you broke out the pasta maker. Nice concept for the dish. I just got back from my favorite Mexican place and so full but I could eat some of that right now! Just got blood work and I taking a week off the low carb thing and might have to try out my pasta maker.

A1C came back good but I think he has my cholesterol way to low. Total is 107. Think I might stop taking the medicine for it. Tired of arguing with him about it.
Total cholesterol that low can cause problems. Mood issues, anxiety , sleep issues just to make a few.

Absolutley, Robert! What a great way to spend that “cool” afternoon. I love anything Italian with red sauce. Your dish looks superb.

Fred

First off Robert that meal is perfect and I will be stealing..... sorry doing this one . Love the whole idea. And never in my mind could there be too much cheese on anything unless it is cake, and than it could be cream cheese lol.

Nice that the weather has cooled off down there , but to sit outside to have your meal, you should have at least started up the Santa Maria grill to sit by to keep warm

Now you say that it was extra nice as all homemade, I did not know you had a cow and made your own cheese, ( I know I'm An Ass )

Close up was very nice of you and to keep that green hunks of P@@P off of the food about to be enjoyed.

Sorry back to normal now,

Great Post and love the pasta process
And the final product, I know it must have been wonderful.

David

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: gmc2003
What did I think about that? Between clicking the love and typing this I pulled a pack of my home made Italian sausage out of the freezer and into the fridge.

Love the concept. I used to make my own pasta, then we went low carb for some years. Lost 40lbs but also lost a lot of great eating for those years! We're splurging more these days, I'm in an "eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die" frame of mind lately; this post has inspired me to get the pasta roller back out!

I can relate to the low carb and the questioning of the doctor thing. There is a reason lawyers and doctors call their profession a "practice".

I have to give my doctor credit to some degree though. Sometime last year, I ran out of my cholesterol med...the stupid statin. I had problems with them in years past causing me lots of pain, but at the pressure of the doc went on atorvastatin some years ago. Well, I had been having hip and back issues for a few years again, walking around like a man at least 20 years older then me. I thought this was just how my life was going to be going forward.

When I ran out of the statin, I didn't rush to get it filled because its not like its an acute life providing drug like blood pressure meds; its a long term drug. I would get it filled the next time I was going to be "in town". Within a week my chronic pain was almost gone. It occurred to me the previous few years of ridiculous unexplained pain was due to the poison statin. I still have some issues, but nothing like what I was going through.

When I told my doctor (notice, I didn't "ask") I had quit the poison drug he said he fully supported me and that my risk for a coronary event at my age and situation was 12% over the next ten years with a statin, and 15% without it! Why would I endure that kind of pain for those stats? He doesnt even check labs for cholesterol anymore. He says if we're not going to treat it, what's the point?

There are some things I simply do not trust the medical establishment on, but at least my doctor is real about "some" stuff.

Oh Yeah!!! Your pasta looks so good hanging there. So glad you broke out the pasta maker. Nice concept for the dish.
Thanks Brian. Was an interesting take n Italian, that's for sure.
I taking a week off the low carb thing and might have to try out my pasta maker.
Go for it!! sawhorseray sawhorseray has a super simple recipe for the dough that is just fantastic. I make it in the Ninja food processor and it takes all of about 20 seconds to do. Then just roll it out and get on with your meal :emoji_wink:

Robert

Count me in on a few of those cheesearrific beauties Robert.
You got it my friend, and thank you for the kind words. Unless you have the appetite of an 800 pound Sumo wrestler, I'm betting that two of these would be more than enough. There was a LOT of melted cheese in this dish.

Robert

Absolutley, Robert! What a great way to spend that “cool” afternoon. I love anything Italian with red sauce. Your dish looks superb.
Thanks so much Fred. I don't do many food related things very well but I am kinda happy with the red sauce I make. That was the first thing I ever "perfected" and we do enjoy it.

Robert

Homemade lasagna from scratch. You got the touch Robert!
Very much appreciate it Matt. I have to give Ray the credit for the homemade pasta though. He pushed me into it (thankfully), gave me some pointers, then gave me his recipe. It's no huge secret but it sure is good....and super simple.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky