Red Wine Salami question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

keahunter

Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Hello all. I am making a red wine (cooked) salami based on a recipe from Duncan Henry on youtube. The recipe calls for letting the salami sit in the fridge for anywhere up to a week. I let mine sit for 6 days and am about to start the smoking process. When i took it from the fridge, i noticed a white "film" on the casing (fibrous casing). I assume this is some sort of mold. i put it in the smoker anyway. is this white film a bad mold or ok mold?

Hello all. I am making a red wine (cooked) salami based on a recipe from Duncan Henry on youtube. The recipe calls for letting the salami sit in the fridge for anywhere up to a week. I let mine sit for 6 days and am about to start the smoking process. When i took it from the fridge, i noticed a white "film" on the casing (fibrous casing). I assume this is some sort of mold. i put it in the smoker anyway. is this white film a bad mold or ok mold?
indaswamp indaswamp

Reactions: indaswamp
Get a picture if you can .
salami.jpg

Here you go Chopsaw

Might be salt or maybe even sugar residue that's crystalized on the the surface .
Doesn't look like mold to me , but I could be wrong . Those are perforated casing correct ?
My opinion is that's a long pre smoke hold time for a cooked sausage .
Others will be along with their opinions .

Might be salt or maybe even sugar residue that's crystalized on the the surface .
Doesn't look like mold to me , but I could be wrong . Those are perforated casing correct ?
My opinion is that's a long pre smoke hold time for a cooked sausage .
Others will be along with their opinions .
Thanks Chopsaw. Yes, they are perforated casings. I also thought that was a long pre-smoke hold time. The recipe (video) says anywhere from 3-7 days and this was the first opportunity i had to smoke (6 days after stuffing).

Last edited:
Could be either mold. yeast, or salt...hard to tell from the pic...

At any rate, you can wipe with a 50/50 water vinegar mix to clean the surface, then smoke after drying the casings.
Thanks for responding. It's mid-smoke so I'll wipe after. As long as it doesn't get me sick I'm good. 🙃

Results ?
Hey Chopsaw, the results are that I didn't die. lol. It came out very tasty. Only issue is, I suppose from letting it sit in the fridge for a week, the first layer under the casing was pretty dry and tough. When it was done smoking, after the water bath to cool it down, i wiped it down really good and there was no more white residue on it. Thanks!!

I suppose from letting it sit in the fridge for a week, the first layer under the casing was pretty dry and tough
A couple things can cause that . Put the chubs in a zip lock bag and put them in the fridge for a few days . Should soften it up some .
When holding before smoking ( or in general ) make sure it's covered so the surface doesn't dry out to much . Then before going into the smoker , hang at room temp for 60 to 90 minutes .

Reactions: indaswamp
A couple things can cause that . Put the chubs in a zip lock bag and put them in the fridge for a few days . Should soften it up some .
When holding before smoking ( or in general ) make sure it's covered so the surface doesn't dry out to much . Then before going into the smoker , hang at room temp for 60 to 90 minutes .
Thanks! Great suggestions. I appreciate it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky