Questions on SMD200a settings, best wood pellets, pellets vs chips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

denny

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
I have a MES 40S with a mail-box and amnps maze tray set up and an Auber SMD200A PID. Have been using it for about 2 years or so and been very happy. Long enough for new developments, practices and ideas to appear that I quite likely haven't heard about; possibly because I don't visit here often enough to keep current! It performs very well with a 1500W heater but of course if it can be made to run BETTER, I am all in (famous last words)!

1. I have read elsewhere that keeping the temp swings to less than 2-3 degrees either way can be hard on the heater with such rapid current changes. Is that valid? It seems that in general most electronics are said to suffer most from the current in-rush at the moment of being turned on. But, is that effect really of any significance in the real world on such a heavy duty item? The SSR is there to help with rapid changes which are big villians of electronic longevity.

2. I had to spend a lot of time understanding how to set up the PID. I remember little and don't relish going back but I know I can and will do it. I have even forgotten the values of P, I, and D I'm using.! What PID settings do you use? If you have the more expensive WS-1510ELPM, does it require different settings? Who knows what garbage I may have put in? I will re-program but would really like benefit of your knowledge to give me best results before I start. I love that it is so simple--all I do for most smoking is just set the temp at 225, lite the pellets and monitor the meat temp!

3. Traeger hickory pellets are what I have been using, but it seems that the smoke flavor has been a little off or harsh lately--it isn't creosote. Could also be due to something else I suppose. I have seen posts here on the merits of pellets vs. wood chips. More than one indicate Traeger is not the best best choice in pellets. Which is your preferred brand of pellets? If wood chips, what do I need to look for plus why do you think they are better?

4. I live in Central/Southwest Missouri where it is very windy and even sub-zero. I smoke under a covered rear deck but that wind takes a real toll from the MES. So I am looking into using some Reflectix-type insulating blanket to mitigate heat loss as economically and practically as possible. Accessories may include hook-and-loop strips, Kaptan tape, high temp double sided tape and high temp adhesive. Have you done or thought about this idea? Any suggestions for materials or techniques?

I have grown complacent and know I need to take another look. Any input will be very appreciated. Best wishes for the holidays in these very troublesome times. God's blessings to all!

I'd go to the Auber site and look up your manual and look at the default settings and the flowchart on how to change the settings if you have. Also, to find your current setting. Auber sent me a disk manual with the WS-1510ELPM. Out of the box setting was P=7, I=600 and D=150.

I can only comment on your pellet and insulation questions.

I've found the Traeger pellets to be inferior. The best pellets I have used are Lumber Jack and Amazen.

On really cold days I wrap my MES in a welders blanket from Harborfreight.

I'd go to the Auber site and look up your manual and look at the default settings and the flowchart on how to change the settings if you have. Also, to find your current setting. Auber sent me a disk manual with the WS-1510ELPM. Out of the box setting was P=7, I=600 and D=150.
Yeah, I know I have to get back into the manual but I was hoping to learn of some tried and tested non-default settings for comparison. And of course I do need to be refreshed on MY settings! Thanks dr. k for your help.

I can only comment on your pellet and insulation questions.

I've found the Traeger pellets to be inferior. The best pellets I have used are Lumber Jack and Amazen.

On really cold days I wrap my MES in a welders blanket from Harborfreight.
You know, I had considered welding blankets but dismissed them because of being so thin and itchy fibreglass material. Just couldn't get it thru my head that they would work. If you were satisfied with the ability to to turn cold and pretty heavy winds, it looks like I need to rethink the idea. Plus, the price difference could be worthwhile. In addition, I'll look into Lumber Jack and Amazen pellets as I need to reorder soon. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky