Questions on brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tballard169

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
Im gonna be doing brats later today or tomorrow. Any tips would be helpful. I'm doing about 50 percent deer and 50 percent pork. I understand you have to twist the links left then right as you stuff them. I accidently got 2 different mixes one with a cure....I'm doing 10 pounds and these will frozen till grilled . Can the mixes be used together as it is the same but one has a cure .

Attachments

• IMG_20200306_095831645.jpg
    IMG_20200306_095831645.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 21
Never done Brat's I'm sure someone will jump in here

Gary

The seasoning pack on the left of the picture that states "cured" is the one to use if you are going to smoke your brats, which doesn't sound like what you've got in mind at this time. If your just going to stuff and freeze them for later grilling the "fresh" seasoning would be the way top go. The "cured" seasoning would contain Cure#1, sodium nitrite, and be used to prevent botulism when smoking your sausage. Sounds like you might be fairly new to sausage making, here's a video to watch about linking. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, and stay safe. RAY

Reactions: JC in GB
The seasoning pack on the left of the picture that states "cured" is the one to use if you are going to smoke your brats, which doesn't sound like what you've got in mind at this time. If your just going to stuff and freeze them for later grilling the "fresh" seasoning would be the way top go. The "cured" seasoning would contain Cure#1, sodium nitrite, and be used to prevent botulism when smoking your sausage. Sounds like you might be fairly new to sausage making, here's a video to watch about linking. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, and stay safe. RAY

Each pack is for 5 pounds....can I use them together or should I get another pack of the fresh kit? And yes I'm very new to this so thanks

I just saw on the package that the cure packet is separate from the seasonings

Ah, is it a little package of pink salt kept separate from the seasoning? RAY
[/QUO

It's a little pack but can't see into it so don't know if it's pink salt but says it's the cure. Lem site says you can use beer instead of water for mixing ....haven't decided if I'm using beer

Well. If I remember right the cured kit has a separate package for the cure. If that is the case. You could probably mix the two without adding the cure. Or, which is what I'd do, is get another pack of fresh brat seasoning. And see if you could return other one or give away if you don't have a smoker.

Well. If I remember right the cured kit has a separate package for the cure. If that is the case. You could probably mix the two without adding the cure. Or, which is what I'd do, is get another pack of fresh brat seasoning. And see if you could return other one or give away if you don't have a smoker.

I already opened the package to see if the cure was separate...lol...I do have a smoker just needs a new heating element....I think I'm gonna mix them and not use the cure.

No thanks! Have 2 at home already, one 18 and the other 21...lol...On a serious note following this, I love brats.

• Haha
Reactions: hawtsauc3
I add cure to my brats and polish , and leave some un smoked to throw on the grill .
No cure and grilled on the left , Cure 1 added and grilled on the right .
You can see the color difference .
20191222_183957.jpg
On linking the sausage . Skip every other one and twist .
I leave the far end open and work towards it si I can push the meat in that direction . I go thru and pinch the lengths , adjust if I need to , then twist every other one . Don't try to go to fast , and have fun . Watching for the results . Enjoy !
20190927_091823.jpg
20190927_085039.jpg

I think this last pic is breakfast sausage / sheep casing . All the same though .
20190801_124553.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
I add cure to my brats and polish , and leave some un smoked to throw on the grill .
No cure and grilled on the left , Cure 1 added and grilled on the right .
You can see the color difference .
View attachment 434967
On linking the sausage . Skip every other one and twist .
I leave the far end open and work towards it si I can push the meat in that direction . I go thru and pinch the lengths , adjust if I need to , then twist every other one . Don't try to go to fast , and have fun . Watching for the results . Enjoy !
View attachment 434966
View attachment 434965

I think this last pic is breakfast sausage / sheep casing . All the same though .
View attachment 434964

Do you use beer instead of water for your mix? I always get beer brats when I buy them from the store but it doesn't really matter .

I like to poach my brats in beer and onions, when it's time to grill I like to sauté the onions in butter to go on a bun with the brat, makes it even healthier! RAY

Personally, even though the cure is for safety, I prefer the flavor of Cured Sausage much more than Fresh uncured sausage.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky