Questions for RecTeq owners: MAK UPDATE!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Do RecTeq models have a trap door to remove pellets?

Is there a shutdown mode that will run for a period which will clear out the pellets in the auger chamber?

Reactions: chopsaw
I don't know about your first question, but for the second one, I doubt any pellet grill has that function.
Only way that I know of to clear the auger is to have an empty hopper and run the grill.
Which goes back to first question that I don't have a clue about.
I'm sure some of the RecTeq owners will chime in.

Reactions: schlotz
Is there a shutdown mode that will run for a period which will clear out the pellets in the auger chamber?
What you will likely find is a shutdown mode that stops the auger from feeding more pellets into the pot and burns what is left in the pot on shutdown mode on any pellet grill. There really is no way to completely clear the auger tube during shutdown unless the hopper is empty, the way these are set up.

Mine does have a pellet dump to empty the hopper in the event you want to empty it and fill with different pellets, but it isn't a RecTeq, it's a Camp Chef.

Last edited:
Do RecTeq models have a trap door to remove pellets?

You know I run a Smokefire , it has both features .

Has the dump chute , and during shutdown the auger runs in reverse . SmokeFires are a drop auger design .

Only commenting because you would think a Rectec would have those features . So I'm interested in the answer .

I saw today that Weber is coming out with a new design pellet grill . I don't think it's open anymore , which is a shame .

Reactions: schlotz and zwiller
Mine does not. Don’t have to clean very often, when I do I am vacuuming the bottom of the drum anyways.

I have an antique RT680, so newer models may differ.
1) No. I use a small shop vac (bag removed) to empty pellets when I want to change load-out. Simple and has added benefit of keeping the pellet dust in the hopper under control. I simply dump the canister back into appropriate bin.
2) Yes, the augur stops feeding fuel, fan cycles until fire pot is cool and then shuts off. Next cook, the augur runs for a few seconds to bring fresh fuel to the pot where the igniter lights them and you’re cooking again.
Hope this helps!

You know I run a Smokefire , it has both features .

Has the dump chute , and during shutdown the auger runs in reverse . SmokeFires are a drop auger design .

Only commenting because you would think a Rectec would have those features . So I'm interested in the answer .

I saw today that Weber is coming out with a new design pellet grill . I don't think it's open anymore , which is a shame .
The new one is the searwood, correct?

A 5 gallon bucket with the vacuum attachment works really good to empty hopper.

1713696514210.png

I think that's right . Haven't looked to close . I'm afraid I'll buy one . Looks like it has a spinner built in .
Went to Weber's site. The Searwood appears to be a complete redesign and will replace the Smokefire. The rotisserie is an accessory and like you Rich, interests me a lot! It does have a pellet dump shoot so I could allow the unit to just run out of pellets which would clear the auger. Really wish the components were 304 stainless though. Access to the motor is very open once the bottom part of the pellet hopper is removed. Yeah it's design also supports high temp grilling and searing but that job is the responsibility of my Hestan gas grill. So interest here is strictly smoking. My complete review of the Recteq was very favorable until I got to it not having a pellet dump and the fact the hopper is on the back of the unit which would be a real issue for me due to where it will reside. Even it were on the side I do not relish the idea of having to break out a vac to remove pellets. I did spend sometime looking closely at the Traeger Timberline and it passed all of the criteria but over the years I've read too many negative reports on the units this company has produced.

As you might remember my reason for the interest is that I've still not been able to dislodge the auger on my MAK which was totally my fault. MAK support has diligently been trying to help with possible solutions but each has unfortunately failed to free the auger. Real shame as this smoker has been wonderful to use for many years and has given me no problems until I helped it freeze the auger by not removing the pellets, not running out the auger and not covering it for two plus months of numerous rain falls. One final call to MAK will be early this week to discuss any final options before having to claim this smoker as dead meat thus turning this episode into a very expensive negligence lesson.

As you might remember my reason for the interest is that I've still not been able to dislodge the auger on my MAK which was totally my fault. MAK support has diligently been trying to help with possible solutions but each has unfortunately failed to free the auger. Real shame as this smoker has been wonderful to use for many years and has given me no problems until I helped it freeze the auger by not removing the pellets, not running out the auger and not covering it for two plus months of numerous rain falls. One final call to MAK will be early this week to discuss any final options before having to claim this smoker as dead meat thus turning this episode into a very expensive negligence lesson.
Sorry to hear about the MAK…

I never empty the pellets or the auger on my Rec Teq. It sits outside in rain snow subzero temps etc. never had an issue. As much as I probably should, I have never cleaned the pellet box either. I just take the cover off and fire it up. just my experience FWIW.

It does have a pellet dump shoot so I could allow the unit to just run out of pellets which would clear the auger
I've said from the start that the SmokeFire has some really nice features . It certainly does not get the respect it deserves . Hopefully the new design will keep those and add some more .
I use the dump from time to time . It's another must have for me . I like to run my better pellets at the start of a cook for smoke boost , then I have some I use just for the heat source that I put on top of those . The dump makes that an easy non issue .

. Even it were on the side I do not relish the idea of having to break out a vac to remove pellets.
No way . I wouldn't own one that needed a shop vac to clean it .
Don't overlook the ease of clean up on the Webers . Scraper , a brush and a trash can are all you need . Looks like they've made the new one even better with the whole slide out tray like their gas grills . Mines a smaller drawer in the middle . Still work great though .

My hopper is on the back as well . That's due to the drop style auger . Another must have for me . In shut down the auger runs in reverse and empties the chute back into the hopper .
What's in the burn pot is spent , and the burn pot is slotted on the bottom and the ash falls into the removable tray . Pull the tray and dump it . Great feature .
Sounds like they've kept that on the new one .
Not sure of the type of auger , but I'm assuming it's level feeding .

I did spend sometime looking closely at the Traeger Timberline and it passed all of the criteria but over the years I've read too many negative reports on the units this company has produced.
You're a smart man . Don't be influenced by the half empty glasses of this world .
My Sister has had one for about a year and a half without any issues . Makes some good food too . Smoke profile is really not there though .

One final call to MAK will be early this week to discuss any final options before having to claim this smoker as dead meat thus turning this episode into a very expensive negligence lesson.
Don't give up on it . I'm surprised you can't get it freed up , or at least they don't have a resolve .

Just for the sake of saying it , I am not pushing Weber . Plenty of great pellet grills out there . I'm just surprised that some don't have some of the better features .
Things I mentioned above are for the Gen 2 SmokeFire . Not sure what the whole story is on the re-do is as far as features go . I'm sure they improved on what they had , which is already great .

Ace hardware has the EX6 for $999 now, while I won't they they are blowing them out for the new models, that is still a decent price.

Not sure of the type of auger , but I'm assuming it's level feeding .

You're a smart man . Don't be influenced by the half empty glasses of this world .
My Sister has had one for about a year and a half without any issues . Makes some good food too . Smoke profile is really not there though .

Don't give up on it . I'm surprised you can't get it freed up , or at least they don't have a resolve .

Just for the sake of saying it , I am not pushing Weber . Plenty of great pellet grills out there . I'm just surprised that some don't have some of the better features .
Yes the new one is level feeding auger. No question there are those using a Traeger that have not had any issues. My problem is there are too many that have had issues and complained about them. Good to know about the smoke profile not being there. Definitely appreciate your input. Had been a Weber guy for many years but when it came time for a smoker they just weren't at a level I was looking for, ergo my MAK purchase. I was glad to see Weber come out with the Surefire which showed their commitment to the smoking community. Now a newer redesigned smoker further supports that commitment. No, I haven't given up on the MAK yet. Still holding out they will come up with a way to free up that auger. We'll see this coming week. If not, the new Weber might be a serious option. While it may not be at the same level of the MAKs, everything I've read and reviewed suggests it's a serious contender.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky