Question on Bottling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

winemaster

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
MN
Just made a double batch of my sauce. "Pig Lotion"
Dont want to have it all in the fridge and put it into sanitized canning jars.
Its vinegar based and am wondering when the jars seal, Does it need to be refridgerated.

Cheers Dan

If you use the proper canning procedures,
You won't have to refrigerate it.
The jars start to seal as the tempreture drops.

If you look in a canning "blue book" and follow the process same as for chili sauce you'll be fine.

If you can it and when you open it you don't here a hiss, you know you have a bad one.

I store mine bottled in plastic water bottles I have sanitized. Pour in quite warm and just use tin foil over the top till it chills, as if ya cap it, it'll collapse from the contraction. When chilled I cap it. Have kept bottles 2 months with no issues, but mine is a Carolina style, little sugar, lots of vinegar and pepper.

Ph is a very important factor in determining how to bottle or can things. Some sauces even need hoy bathed before canning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky