Question about Fermentation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I have some confusion about relative humidity as it relates to fermentation of dry sausages. In the past, I have used Umai bags for salamis, and chose my starter culture based on temp ranges in my particular area. Since then, I have begun to study & build a real drying chamber. Everything I read tells me I will ferment the same as I do when using the Umai bags, but I have never paid attention to RH. So, what role does RH play during the fermentation process? If I used my winter coat closet to ferment my Umai products, will that same closet not work with my more traditional salami making?

I'm getting real close to finishing my build. I have read books, searched the internet, messaged many experts and purchased everything necessary (even a PH meter..I am ALL IN HERE). I really want to understand this as best as possible, eager to hear from some of the experts in this area.

Thanks!

RH >90% during fermentation ensures that the outer surface of the salami stays moist so that the bacteria can do their job creating acid and developing color. Bacteria need moisture to grow. If the outer area of the salami dries too fast before the lactic acid bacteria drop the pH, you will develop a grey ring just under the casing of the salami and that area will not be sufficiently safe because of the higher pH which may be above the safe 5.3 recommended.
Also, on larger salamis, high RH% during fermentation ensures that case hardening will not be a problem down the road months later during drying.

Reactions: boykjo and 73saint
RH >90% during fermentation ensures that the outer surface of the salami stays moist so that the bacteria can do their job creating acid. Bacteria need moisture to grow. If the outer area of the salami dries too fast before the lactic acid bacteria drop the pH, you will develop a grey ring just under the casing of the salami and that area will not be sufficiently safe because of the higher pH which may be above the safe 5.3 recommended.
Also, on larger salamis, high RH% during fermentation ensures that case hardening will not be a problem down the road months later during drying.
So, fermentation isn't the same process as with Umai. That is what I was driving at. I was told wrong. I appreciate the feedback, Inda.

Umai offers more controlled protection from drying that other casings used to make salamis. This is why you can put umai in a refrigerator @ 40%RH and still get a good product. Humidity control is not as critical as it is with regular casings....

Reactions: boykjo and 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky