Pulled Pork this Weekend Heavy QVIEW!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Now what good would this thread be without a pic of a Pulled Pork Sammie???  Here it is on an awesome corn dusted kaiser roll with some fresh slaw!

This was my lunch, and yes........this sammie was all I needed, so filling!

Now what good would this thread be without a pic of a Pulled Pork Sammie???  Here it is on an awesome corn dusted kaiser roll with some fresh slaw!

This was my lunch, and yes........this sammie was all I needed, so filling!
drool.gif

Those butts look good.  I will be trying the Sauce recipe.

I have a newbie question about the gastrique.   What's it for?  Is it a separate sauce or did you mix it with the bbq sauce or do you use it as a glaze?

I like the idea, my wife buys a lot of fruit but there's always leftovers that go bad.  I think I would rather use that fruit to experiment and see what I can come up with.

Those butts look good.  I will be trying the Sauce recipe.

I have a newbie question about the gastrique.   What's it for?  Is it a separate sauce or did you mix it with the bbq sauce or do you use it as a glaze?

I like the idea, my wife buys a lot of fruit but there's always leftovers that go bad.  I think I would rather use that fruit to experiment and see what I can come up with.
Hey TCaptain, the gastrique is simple.  It is just adding an incredible amount of flavor to whatever BBQ sauce you want to use.  You can use whatever fruits you desire, I personally like Mango, strawberries, blackberries, peaches and pineapple.  I would stay away from using bananas because of the texture.  All you are doing by making a "Gastrique" is just adding liquid as well as vinegar + the fruit and then reducing it down til it gets a nice syrupy consistency.  Once you have accomplished that, you just pour the mixture through a strainer into your bbq sauce, and mash the fruit into the strainer as well.  What you should get is a nice smoky/spicy bbq sauce at first followed by the light and subtle fruity notes in the back of your palate.  It is great on Pulled Pork, Ribs and chicken.  I'm grilling some chicken legs tonite and using the last of the this sauce to baste it with.  Good luck with it and please be sure to share your results 
pot.gif

Hey TCaptain, the gastrique is simple.  It is just adding an incredible amount of flavor to whatever BBQ sauce you want to use.  You can use whatever fruits you desire, I personally like Mango, strawberries, blackberries, peaches and pineapple.  I would stay away from using bananas because of the texture.  All you are doing by making a "Gastrique" is just adding liquid as well as vinegar + the fruit and then reducing it down til it gets a nice syrupy consistency.  Once you have accomplished that, you just pour the mixture through a strainer into your bbq sauce, and mash the fruit into the strainer as well.  What you should get is a nice smoky/spicy bbq sauce at first followed by the light and subtle fruity notes in the back of your palate.  It is great on Pulled Pork, Ribs and chicken.  I'm grilling some chicken legs tonite and using the last of the this sauce to baste it with.  Good luck with it and please be sure to share your results 
pot.gif
Oh that sounds delicious!

It could be just the thing I've been looking for.  I've played at making my own BBQ sauces but my wife has set some "challenges" for me.  No tomato base...which is fine.   The second is that she likes sweet sauces rather than spicy.

Personally I like heat.  I love playing with sweet and spicy together for pork and chicken.  

I came up with a pretty nice sauce last year, sweetened with Maple syrup and some heat from chipotle and/or ancho.    This year, I want to improve so playing with gastriques like you just shown seems to be the way to get a LOT of flavor.  I can't wait to try it.

Oh that sounds delicious!

It could be just the thing I've been looking for.  I've played at making my own BBQ sauces but my wife has set some "challenges" for me.  No tomato base...which is fine.   The second is that she likes sweet sauces rather than spicy.

Personally I like heat.  I love playing with sweet and spicy together for pork and chicken.  

I came up with a pretty nice sauce last year, sweetened with Maple syrup and some heat from chipotle and/or ancho.    This year, I want to improve so playing with gastriques like you just shown seems to be the way to get a LOT of flavor.  I can't wait to try it.
It will definitely sweeten up whatever sauce you plan to use, thats for sure.  When I first started making tomato-based sauces, they werent really a hit.  BUT, after experimenting time and time again (and finally adding a fair amount of molasses to it) I found the right balance to make an amazing sauce.  Nice and velvety smooth with layer upon layer of flavor.  Good luck with your saucemaking and most importantly, HAVE FUN doing it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky