Pulled Pork for open house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pioneer51

Original poster
Apr 17, 2018
Croswell, MI
Good morning everyone!! I'm new here and have been smoking for a couple years now and love it. I have a couple questions for you. I have a good friend that would like me to do some smoked pulled pork for her open house and just not sure how to make it work. I have 2 vertical box gas smokers so i think i can do a lot at a time. The open house is on a Saturday and i could start on Friday afternoon. Should i start sooner and freeze or start on Friday, not sure how many pounds of shoulder to get? Any feed back would be very helpful. Thank you in advance

If you have all day on Friday, I would do it all and then put it in the fridge unpulled, until the next day and then warm it up.there are a bunch of folks here with a lot more experience and they might have other suggestions, this has worked for me in the past tho.

Yes sorry. They are planning on 250-300. Pulled pork will not be the only meat. Chicken and meatballs along with plenty of sides. Also my smokers seem to cook faster then most of the post on here. I did my last one only took about 6 hours. I have the smoke thermometer so i know my box temp and meat temp. Does anyone else seem to have this with there vertical gas smoker?

1/3 of a pound per person of protein works for us when we cater to large groups. Not everyone will eat that much but some will eat more. Always good to have a bit more than you need to be safe.

Also remember to cut your weight in half because of loss while cooking. Meaning an 8# pork butt will only end up providing just over 4#’s of meat in the end.

Good luck,
Scott

Didn’t see that pork won’t be the only protein. Cut it to a 1/4 per person in that case.

I would smoke it, pull it and pop it in the fridge on Friday. Reheating already pulled pork on Saturday is a breeze w/o any loss in flavor.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky