Pulled, chopped or sliced

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigTurtle

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
In YOUR neck of the woods, what is the preferred method of processing and serving pork butts ? I've had the pleasure of living in different areas of Dixie where all 3 styles were practiced. What is your personal preference ?

Pulled but have done it all,take it any way I can get it lol.short on time sliced or chopped,no rush pulled every time

I pull it by hand & make the chunks nice & big, no bear claws or forks!
And don't forget the finishing sauce!
Al

I am a fan of all of it myself. I've had sliced in Birmingham and pulled in Tennessee and fine chopped with vinegar/hot pepper sauce in Eastern, NC. I prefer the coarse hand pulled. In finer pieces the sauce can overpower the pork flavor.

I’m good with pulled or chopped. Little pieces or big. Sauce or no sauce. Bun or no bun. Finishing sauce is always a great addition! But slicing is for pork loin imho. Easiest piece or meat to smoke with great success, and what a bargain! You can feed a small army for cheap!

Scott

Reactions: BigTurtle
I think it is all good, however in South Alabama pilled seems to be the most popular. I always serve it pulled. I use an attachment on my drill to pull it. It does a great job and does it quick. How fine of pieces it pulls depends on how long you shred it.
I can put 2-3 butts in a 5 gallon bucket and shred it in less than 30 seconds.

A4A19926-FF17-4D65-9F16-3781BEDFA3EE.jpeg B64D2EBF-558C-40AC-8733-DE1A57F66BEF.jpeg AAC9B4BF-4D15-4DD4-A722-22176E01BE77.jpeg
This is what I use

I refer to it as L.A. ( lower Alabama). Born in Montgomery 1956. Dang I R old.

I still hand pull. It allows me to get the gelatinous membrane out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky