Props For Good Service

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
Guys, I just wanted to share this with you all. I had a crazy issue with my OKJ Highland when I was cleaning it. The nut that holds the damper on my smoke stack somehow went flying off into my yard. Not sure how I got that loose but it happened. I was chatting with a guy at Char Broil about ordering a replacement part. Turns out the part is $1.99 and they charge a scale for shipping. The shipping for the $1.99 part was $4.95. Seems counter intuitive to me. I mentioned that it seemed like shipping was fairly high. The rep then asked when I purchased my OKJ and when I told him last December he made the order for me as a warranty replacement free of charge. Not even shipping. I thought that was pretty good service. I'm feeling even a little better about my smoker purchase now. My OKJ has been an amazing find and a super deal with the closeout from Walmart. This will keep me coming back to consider products from Char Broil again.

George

Good to hear George.

I probably would have scrounged around and found something in my shop.
Or gone to Lowe's and got some hardware.

I like my Char Broil gas grill. It came with a set of extra jets to convert it to Natural Gas.

Takes a lot of beans to keep it lit though...

Guys, I just wanted to share this with you all. I had a crazy issue with my OKJ Highland when I was cleaning it. The nut that holds the damper on my smoke stack somehow went flying off into my yard. Not sure how I got that loose but it happened. I was chatting with a guy at Char Broil about ordering a replacement part. Turns out the part is $1.99 and they charge a scale for shipping. The shipping for the $1.99 part was $4.95. Seems counter intuitive to me. I mentioned that it seemed like shipping was fairly high. The rep then asked when I purchased my OKJ and when I told him last December he made the order for me as a warranty replacement free of charge. Not even shipping. I thought that was pretty good service. I'm feeling even a little better about my smoker purchase now. My OKJ has been an amazing find and a super deal with the closeout from Walmart. This will keep me coming back to consider products from Char Broil again.

George
Thats good to know.

Ia this the big cleaning before reseasoning+FB painting you talked about?

Thats good to know.

Ia this the big cleaning before reseasoning+FB painting you talked about?
No I was just doing some maintenance kind of cleaning. I should have done the deep clean but I’d rather be smoking. I keep putting that off. I’m planning on doing that after Labor Day. Once I get this replacement part I’m going to keep a close eye on that nut that holds the damper on.

George

No I was just doing some maintenance kind of cleaning. I should have done the deep clean but I’d rather be smoking. I keep putting that off. I’m planning on doing that after Labor Day. Once I get this replacement part I’m going to keep a close eye on that nut that holds the damper on.

George
A little high temp rtv will keep that nut from coming off.

2 things, it's a 3/8"-16tpi (threads per inch, national coarse) nylok nut available at a hardware store or big box home improvment store, and if you want mine you may have it. I made my own stack and don't have a need for it. Send me a PM if interested.

2 things, it's a 3/8"-16tpi (threads per inch, national coarse) nylok nut available at a hardware store or big box home improvment store, and if you want mine you may have it. I made my own stack and don't have a need for it. Send me a PM if interested.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I will have to take a look at Home Depot or Lowe's the next time I'm over there. No need fo you to send me yours but the offer is very appreciated. I'm certain that Char Broil will send it eventually and If I can find that nut myself then I have no issue just taking care of it that way until the "official" replacement arrives.

George

So just as promised the replacement nut for my smokestack arrived Thursday. Again the service was top notch from Char Broil. Feels good to have my pit complete again. Thank you Char Broil.

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky