Ready for an upgrade!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

theyankeesmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2017
Fairfield, CT
It's been a while since I've been here. So I've mastered smoking sea, air, and land (salmon, trout, chicken, duck, beef, and pork). I've been using a OKJ dual fuel for about 5 years now, and it's starting to show age.

I'm ready to drop some dough within reason. Debating on old country brazos, or a yoder (either Wichita, or beast it out with the Durango, and upgrading the firebox).

Many folks already have great things to say about about brazos. But I didn't see much about the Wichita or Durango. What's everyone's opinion on the latter two? Should I stick with brazos, or spoil myself with the higher end?

And to be clear, I am not a pellet guy. I like the smokey flavor. The few times I had pellet smoked food, it was lacking smokey flavor. I understand the convenience, but I like using the excuse of "I have to smoke dinner tonight so I can't (insert annoying chore here)" line.

Reactions: JLeonard
I like using the excuse of "I have to smoke dinner tonight so I can't (insert annoying chore here)" line.
🤣
I’m not familiar with the Yoder or brazos.
When I was shopping for a new stick burner I was sold on getting a Lang 36”. The reviews were great, 36” seemed plenty big for me and the price was in my budget. In my research I stumbled upon HBT. Here I was able to get a 60” with a rib box for the price of the 36” Lang. I didn’t like the diamond plate steel of the HBT but learned they would build it from 1/4 inch smooth steel for the same price. After many phone calls to both Lang and HBT I ended up ordering the HBT Deluxe, still a little uncertain why I needed that much smoker real estate.
I’ve had HBT for a few years now. I can tell you I have filled it up many many times and I’m very happy I went with a bigger smoker. Granted there have been many times I have fired it up just to cook one brisket or even one chicken but I really don’t think it uses more wood for a small load.
I love cooking for just my wife and I but it’s also really fun cooking for a big family gathering.
Not sure if this helps you out or adds to you confusion but you might want to look at the HBT.

Reactions: JLeonard
🤣
I’m not familiar with the Yoder or brazos.
When I was shopping for a new stick burner I was sold on getting a Lang 36”. The reviews were great, 36” seemed plenty big for me and the price was in my budget. In my research I stumbled upon HBT. Here I was able to get a 60” with a rib box for the price of the 36” Lang. I didn’t like the diamond plate steel of the HBT but learned they would build it from 1/4 inch smooth steel for the same price. After many phone calls to both Lang and HBT I ended up ordering the HBT Deluxe, still a little uncertain why I needed that much smoker real estate.
I’ve had HBT for a few years now. I can tell you I have filled it up many many times and I’m very happy I went with a bigger smoker. Granted there have been many times I have fired it up just to cook one brisket or even one chicken but I really don’t think it uses more wood for a small load.
I love cooking for just my wife and I but it’s also really fun cooking for a big family gathering.
Not sure if this helps you out or adds to you confusion but you might want to look at the HBT.
Always open to other suggestions. Thanks for sharing this. Seems to be same price point as a yoder so may be a good alternative.

Yoder is actually the current version of the original Oklahoma Joes. After Joe Davidson sold Okie Joe to Charbroil around 1998, his plant manager moved up I-35 to Wichita and began building a very similar smoker for Yoder.

And Joe's brother Roger, started building Horizon smokers, which are also Oklahoma Joes.

Those are bottom up smokers. They exhaust at the top of the cook chamber. They rely upon a " convection plate " to spread heat out evenly across the bottom of the cooking grate, then it rises to the top and out of the cooker.

I've never cooked on one, but my view is they're going to have lower air flow. I'm also wary of the Durango design unless its the 24" version. I know that Horizon made a similar design that was a 16" diameter and it had air flow problems, so much that Horizon actually steered people away from it. I've no idea about the Yoder 20"

The Brazos has completely different air flow. It exhausts at cooking grate level. It also has a large baffle on the " throat " between the firebox and the cook chamber. These are not compatible. It has to be operated at very low air flow, or else the heat/air is forced down by the baffle, then runs under the cooking grate and out the exhaust at grate level. I owned a Brazos. Its a funky cooker. It can make good barbecue but it can also be improved.

Many are modifying the Brazos by cutting out the baffle and some go as far as to rebuild the stack end with a collector that exhausts air more efficiently. There's a lot of pics and advise at the Old Country facebook group.

Old Country has just started releasing a new version of the Brazos, called the G2 that addresses these problems. This one shows promise.

Olc Country G2

Last edited:
I've never used any of the 3 you asked about, but looking at them and for the money and if you don't need or want the vertical box, I'd buy the Brazos.

Now, if you're willing to go custom, there's a bunch of good ones out there. When I bought mine a few years ago, Lang is close enough for me to drive to and I was all set to buy one...if they would've just answered the phone or at least called me back...

Yoder is actually the current version of the original Oklahoma Joes. After Joe Davidson sold Okie Joe to Charbroil around 1998, his plant manager moved up I-35 to Wichita and began building a very similar smoker for Yoder.

And Joe's brother Roger, started building Horizon smokers, which are also Oklahoma Joes.

Those are bottom up smokers. They exhaust at the top of the cook chamber. They rely upon a " convection plate " to spread heat out evenly across the bottom of the cooking grate, then it rises to the top and out of the cooker.

I've never cooked on one, but my view is they're going to have lower air flow. I'm also wary of the Durango design unless its the 24" version. I know that Horizon made a similar design that was a 16" diameter and it had air flow problems, so much that Horizon actually steered people away from it. I've no idea about the Yoder 20"

The Brazos has completely different air flow. It exhausts at cooking grate level. It also has a large baffle on the " throat " between the firebox and the cook chamber. These are not compatible. It has to be operated at very low air flow, or else the heat/air is forced down by the baffle, then runs under the cooking grate and out the exhaust at grate level. I owned a Brazos. Its a funky cooker. It can make good barbecue but it can also be improved.

Many are modifying the Brazos by cutting out the baffle and some go as far as to rebuild the stack end with a collector that exhausts air more efficiently. There's a lot of pics and advise at the Old Country facebook group.

Old Country has just started releasing a new version of the Brazos, called the G2 that addresses these problems. This one shows promise.

Olc Country G2

I would hate to have to get into welding/modifying. I'm not the most handy of fellas out there. Thanks for the insight on Horizon smokers! Have you used them?

The vertical smoker is going to be ideal for my next adventure of sausage making and lox. I get it about airflow and the science/physics behind it. I'm under the impression it's all workable though. I mean, for the past five years I've been dealing with a smoker that leaked smoke and heat like crazy (I never sealed it like I should have).

No, I've not cooked on a Yoder or Horizon.

And I can't tell ya what smoker is best for you. I'm just providing some info on the ones you mentioned.

I do know that I would not buy the Brazos, I'd move on up to the OC G2. And even then, I might wait until I read some user reviews. Its very new.

Last edited:
Reactions: theyankeesmoker
Yes been researching them this morning. Have to put in an inquiry on freight and if they can upgrade the firebox.
I’m in the North East as well & it took me over 2 years to buy a stick burner due to outrageous shipping costs. You’re talking some decent money to get something from Texas shipped up here. After giving up a few times I finally found a great deal about 2 hours away from home. If you have the cash, a trailer & a truck you might find something really great semi local like I did but it takes patience, the NE is not really known as a smoking destination & you have to weed through a million COS’s (cheap offsets) to find a quality smoker. Facebook marketplace & owner groups are the best place to find one.

Also, do you want a direct flow smoker like the Horizon, Brazos, etc or reverse flow like the Lang’s & Shirley’s (I ended up with a Shirley & couldn’t be happier) if it’s a direct flow you want then check out the Blue Smoke from Big Phil, it’s the best value in a direct flow smoker with 3/8” steel all the way around but at the time my shipping quote was $1750 which was a little under the cost of the smoker itself, rates have probably dropped by now. I also looked at Horizon because they used to be stocked locally at Bass Pro shops, the welds won’t impress you but they are a proven performer as well. Also to consider is Lonestar Grillz but again located in Texas with all the other quality pit builders. Finally if you really want a Brazos there are at least two retailers that will ship one to you for about $1900 so you’re paying around $500 or so for shipping, it is what it is, welcome to New England. Good luck in your search & take your time to get exactly what you want because around here yo might loose money on the resale.

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky