Processing Week 2024....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
It's that time of year again. 2 on the board so far since the opener of Bow season Oct. 1st. No pic. of the first doe, but here is the second...
IMG_20231005_144447_01.jpg

110# which is a good sized doe for The South.

Congrats, most of our doe are in the 50-80lb dressed range, have seen a few over 100lb but rare for this area of Tn. I have killed a lot of deer and never been over 160lb dressed weight Yet lol I quit bow hunting look forward to muzzy loader season every year

Nice doe. When I hunted I thought about getting into bow hunting. But fighting skeeters and snakes wasnt my thing.

Jim

Nice job! I was able to bag a doe a few weeks ago. Big cold front moving in tomorrow. Hope on of my shooter bucks cruises by this weekend!

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Nice kill Inda. I'm not a big fan of venison, but I'm seeing a lot of cars parked on the side of the road in the early morning hours around here. I hope they're successful. I've hit two deer with my vehicles and don't really want any more repeats. It gets expensive.

Chris

Nice kill Inda. I'm not a big fan of venison, but I'm seeing a lot of cars parked on the side of the road in the early morning hours around here. I hope they're successful. I've hit two deer with my vehicles and don't really want any more repeats. It gets expensive.

Chris
Yes harvest time around here. Sure does get the deer moving , really need to pay attention dusk and dawn.

Been a while since I have posted an update to this thread. We are at 11 deer as of right now for processing week. I still have not gotten a call for some wild hogs....we shall see...

I went to the deer camp with my brother week before Christmas. My Uncle met us there, along with my Dad. Uncle and Dad shot one doe each, I shot a doe...
IMG_20231219_163705.jpg

and then the next morning I shot the first buck I have harvested in 38 years (big waterfowler...took a 25 year hiatus from deer hunting). Little 5 pt. that I thought was much bigger in the early morning light right at shooting light. He is State legal, just not what the club is trying to shoot.
IMG_20231220_093455.jpg

Long story short- I have 60# of venison for the freezers with 18# of that for grind on processing day. Heading back up after the new year... the rut will be in full swing so I expect some bucks to add to the tally from the guys. And I might get lucky as well...

Been a while since I have posted an update to this thread. We are at 11 deer as of right now for processing week. I still have not gotten a call for some wild hogs....we shall see...

I went to the deer camp with my brother week before Christmas. My Uncle met us there, along with my Dad. Uncle and Dad shot one doe each, I shot a doe...
View attachment 684321
and then the next morning I shot the first buck I have harvested in 38 years (big waterfowler...took a 25 year hiatus from deer hunting). Little 5 pt. that I thought was much bigger in the early morning light right at shooting light. He is Mississippi legal, just not what the club is trying to shoot.
View attachment 684322

Long story short- I have 60# of venison for the freezers with 18# of that for grind on processing day. Heading back up after the new year... the rut will be in full swing so I expect some bucks to add to the tally from the guys. And I might get lucky as well...
That's a decent buck by my standards. Nice looking rifle. Is that a Browning BAR?

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice
The black tail are a bit smaller than a white tail I'm used to seeing in my hunting forays.
In Minnesota, not recommended to cook a full neck roast due to the rise in chronic wasting disease (CWD).

Well, one of the guys was on stand Dec.28th and pulled his phone out to film a buck fight between two small bucks. He was focused on filming it for his son to see when all of a sudden, big boy shows up and breaks up the fight! Needless to say, the video is cut short. He takes a shot and after walking over there, realizes he hit a tree. Flustered, he went back to camp. It was not until one night later laying in bed thinking about it he thought...."you know, I never saw the buck leave and I had full view of the top of the ridge and the road to the east. Maybe I did hit the buck?"

So he went back and guess what he finds 30 yards from the tree with a bullet hole in it?

Yep....
IMG_20231230_190328_02.jpg

IMG_20231230_190328_01.jpg

Too bad the coyotes got the meat. But he was able to save the cape for a mount. 17" wide basic 9 frame with a kicker on the right G2 and a split brow tine on the left...so technically an 11pt....a cool deer, but no addition to the processing tally.

Reactions: BigW.
Another buck down... evening hunt yesterday. Started the tracking job, good blood, but had to back out when the guys pushed him out of his bed. Called the tracking dogs in. He was aiming for high shoulder , deer slightly turned away and the shot went through the brisket. Would not have found the deer without the tracking dogs....deer went 700 yards.
IMG_20240105_075056.jpg

IMG_20240105_075050.jpg

Reactions: Timber II
Some nice looking bucks and does always eat good

Some nice looking bucks and does always eat good
Thanks piney! Total for processing day is at 15 deer as of now....

Good huntin! Enjoy the pics! Shot a little one the other day on the last day of our muzzloader season myself! More sausage soon!
Thanks. Congrats on your deer. They eat good, which is why I hunt them. I don't hunt horns.

Reactions: Timber II
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky