Probe Calibrate Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Been having some issues with thermometer readings lately. I used this site to calculate boiling temp for my area. https://www.thermoworks.com/bpcalc

boil.PNG

The Rec Tec been running about 20 degrees off. The probe was very dirty so cleaned it. Did not want to take it off to check so will just see how goes next time.

Had an issue on the one I use for home brewing and these need to be accurate. Ended up toss the old one as it was falling apart. I bought the Ink Bird 2 probe to replace. The 2 probe Ink Bird ended up 2 degrees low on both probes. I have issues with all my Ink Birds around induction that I never did with my old Maverick? Strange the newer ones freak out around induction and the old ones don't? Any idea's.

The BBQ Guru was running about 30 hot. I checked it after cleaning and only couple degrees off. Will have to see next time.

Most where about right. I have too many I think.

20210316_142400.jpg

Thanks for the great information Brian. Your problem sounds like Electro Magnetic Field (EMF) interference from the burner. Goggling "induction stove thermometer interference" shows sites that have varied results of studies back in 2007 - 2012. From the sounds of it, the InkBird might be one that doesn't like the extra EMF. Here are a couple of sites that might help. Induction Cooktops and Digital Electronic Thermometers (thermoworks.com) & Do induction burners interfere with digital thermometers? : AskCulinary (reddit.com) 🍻

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Thanks for the great information Brian. Your problem sounds like Electro Magnetic Field (EMF) interference from the burner. Goggling "induction stove thermometer interference" shows sites that have varied results of studies back in 2007 - 2012. From the sounds of it, the InkBird might be one that doesn't like the extra EMF. Here are a couple of sites that might help. Induction Cooktops and Digital Electronic Thermometers (thermoworks.com) & Do induction burners interfere with digital thermometers? : AskCulinary (reddit.com) 🍻
Sounds about right. I have two old style that will work just going to have to drill hole out a little where one goes as the probes are bigger around.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky