Prime Eye of Round

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
While I was chasing CAB boneless chuck roasts around at Lowes Foods, I noticed that they had USDA Prime Eye of Round on sale for $5.99/lb. That seems like a good price for prime anything and I don't really know why, but this one jumped in my cart for the ride home...
20230509_143038[1].jpg

Now I'm puzzled as to what to do with it as I've never been a big fan of EOR, except for jerky or cubed steak, and I probably shouldn't have bought it, but now I've got it and don't want to screw it up. I've looked through several threads on here about what to do with it and I'm leaning towards smoking it to rare-medium rare then slicing thin for either sandwiches or just roast beef. I'm for sure not making jerky with it, but what other ideas have y'all got for me?

I’d cut it half or even thirds smoke one piece to rare-ish freeze the rest so you have more choices. Of course that depends on how many you are feeding. And yes, those open face gravy slathered sammich are home comfort.

I'm think I'll go with the consensus and smoke it rare, slice thin, and sandwiches with some gravy is what I'll do...
Salt only EQ dry brine first or roll smoke w/o? I EQ 2" thick chucks before roasting or smoking to 1.6% for 2-3 days. That EOR would need closer to 4 I would think.

Sets you up about perfect for a Sunday smoke ;)

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Prime eye would make a good table roast.

Thin sliced for an open faced sandwich with a nice thick gravy would be great also.
Open faced has got my vote!!!

Chris

Over 6 1/2 lbs... For me a couple of lbs would go towards jerky... If your not feeding a lot... I hope you have a vacuum sealer... I'm seeing PLENTY of left overs ...

I'm along with the open face sammy... But I'm also along with SmokinEdge SmokinEdge (3rds)...

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky