Price of Pork These Days

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

btircuit

Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
Hello all.

I haven't been around lately cause I've been trying to loose a few lbs. (40 with about 20 more to go) and although I consider myself to have pretty good willpower, when there's puled pork or ribs in the fridge all bets are off.

I've had a hunkerin to smoke a butt recently so I went to the store to get one and POW... that'll be 4 dollars a pound THANK YOU!

Every store I went to wanted the same price... I mean what the heck happened while I was away?

I understand the cost of groceries in general has increased but man 200%.

Anyway, just wanted to vent a little.

Happen smoking ya'll... good to be back!

Brian

Brian

congratulation_graphics_2.gif

Good to hear from you Glad the weight is rolling off of you.

Now get up off of a couple of dollars and smoke something.

Happy smoken.

David

Wow, 40 lbs, good job.  I lost 30 a few years back, but somehow 20 of them found their way home...
icon_redface.gif

They're usually about $3/lb around here, but happen to see these in local supermarket yesterday at $1.79, picked up 2 to smoke tomorrow:

Not sure if this is everyday low pricing or a special, or if there was some other reason that I won't know until we eat them, but hoping for the best.

It's the porcine virus thing that's going around the country. I think I read somewhere that like 35 states are having problems with it and it is killing about 1/3 of piglets? So, stock dying off, less availability and higher prices.

I don't remember offhand what it's called, but something to do with porcine diarrhea. Yuck, I know.

I'll see if I can look it up later if I get a few slow minutes at work. But this has affected almost all pork prices. I've noticed bacon is well over $5 per pound most places now, too. It's getting expensive to be a smoker! lol

Wow, 40 lbs, good job.  I lost 30 a few years back, but somehow 20 of them found their way home...:icon_redface:

They're usually about $3/lb around here, but happen to see these in local supermarket yesterday at $1.79, picked up 2 to smoke tomorrow:

Not sure if this is everyday low pricing or a special, or if there was some other reason that I won't know until we eat them, but hoping for the best.

Everyday low pricing.

Got a couple of butts in the smoker right now. I paid $2.28 lb. at Cash & Carry, which is almost a dollar more than they were last year.

I picked up 3 butts yesterday at Wegman's for $1.89. just in May they were $1.49. I need to pick up 5 more for a cook . I was asked to do for a local nomad chapter of a motorcycle club , I am not a member just guest smoker.

I got a steal on some butts a couple days ago.  I had been eyeballing some butts at the local Safeway, they were 2.49 a pound.  I saw the sell-by date was the next day.  I talked the store manager into selling them at half-price.  I got them for 1.25 a pound.  Smoked them almost immediately, they turned out great.  Lesson: Read the sell-by date, and be prepared to pounce when they are 24 hours away from hitting it. Large hunks of meat have a way of sitting around for a week.

I got a steal on some butts a couple days ago.  I had been eyeballing some butts at the local Safeway, they were 2.49 a pound.  I saw the sell-by date was the next day.  I talked the store manager into selling them at half-price.  I got them for 1.25 a pound.  Smoked them almost immediately, they turned out great.  Lesson: Read the sell-by date, and be prepared to pounce when they are 24 hours away from hitting it. Large hunks of meat have a way of sitting around for a week.
I use my phone and put sell by dates in the calendar.  I always score when I do so because they usually lower the price when they are within a couple days of the date and they still have stock on hand.  Never thought about asking them to go lower though.  Just might have to give that a try. 

I use my phone and put sell by dates in the calendar.  I always score when I do so because they usually lower the price when they are within a couple days of the date and they still have stock on hand.  Never thought about asking them to go lower though.  Just might have to give that a try. 
That is a great idea! I had not thought of that one.

Thanks Noboundaries!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky