Price of Pork Butt in your area ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
We live in a small town that's about 10 miles from a bigger city. Our Market has pork butt on what they call a sale for 1.48 per pound . If you want to drive the 10 miles to the bigger city it can be had for 1.18 per pound ! It used to be .89 cents per pound at both locations but now we have such high fuel prices that the grocery store's have figured out that some people are stuck and don't travel so they keep the prices high for more profit ! This doesn't just pertain to pork but Inflation is one thing and Greed is another .

I've always paid 99¢ a pound when butts were on sale, Sam's usually had them for $1.35lb. Today at Sam's butts are going for $1.58lb, everything costs more, have to search hard for deals. RAY

Reactions: Marknmd
Routinely Kroger, Food Lion and Harris Teeter run $.97/.99 sales. That's when I buy them. Occasionally they'll go for $1.29/1.49 and I don't mind that if I'm doing BBB or just wanna smoke a butt on the weekend. The standard no sale price here seems to be $2.49 at all the stores sprawl mart included.

Here in the Great Northwest they run $1.48 to 1.99.
On the rare occasion $.99.
Costco carries Swift products so that is a no go for me.
We have a US Chef that carries Chairman's Reserve that I think the flavor is superior.

I see sales for ninety nine cents fairly often, but I don't care what the price is. What I care about is finding a 5 lb butt. I'll happily pay more for a 5 lb butt. If I see a 5 lb boston, I buy it.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I see sales for ninety nine cents fairly often, but I don't care what the price is. What I care about is finding a 5 lb butt. I'll happily pay more for a 5 lb butt. If I see a 5 lb boston, I buy it.
I like 8-9 pound butts. I cut out the money muscle for either a coppa or cottage ham, the rest goes to PP or the grinder for sausage. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw and Marknmd
On sale for .87 this week. I see it for .49 a few times each summer. I'll but it any time its 1.49, but the current flyer is saying the regular price is 3.49 and I don't ever remember seeing it that high.

We live in a small town that's about 10 miles from a bigger city. Our Market has pork butt on what they call a sale for 1.48 per pound . If you want to drive the 10 miles to the bigger city it can be had for 1.18 per pound ! It used to be .89 cents per pound at both locations but now we have such high fuel prices that the grocery store's have figured out that some people are stuck and don't travel so they keep the prices high for more profit ! This doesn't just pertain to pork but Inflation is one thing and Greed is another .
Normal price is anywhere form $1.29/$1.49 per pound.

They go on sale about 2 times a month between Kroger, Tom Thumb/Albersons/Safeway/Randalls, and another small store chain in my area. Sale price is usually $0.97/$0.99 per pound. Can get $0.87/ per pound but rarely see less than that.

I'm fortunate I have lots of competing grocery store options near me. Perks of living in a big city that is a good city :)

Reactions: poacherjoe
Routinely Kroger, Food Lion and Harris Teeter run $.97/.99 sales. That's when I buy them. Occasionally they'll go for $1.29/1.49 and I don't mind that if I'm doing BBB or just wanna smoke a butt on the weekend. The standard no sale price here seems to be $2.49 at all the stores sprawl mart included.
Same here. It's been a month or so since I've seen .99, so it should be coming around soon.
I don't have any Kroger near me but HT is now Kroger owned. Got 4 of them within 3-4 miles from work. I wish they'd open a Kroger.

It used to be .89 cents per pound at both locations but now we have such high fuel prices that the grocery store's have figured out that some people are stuck and don't travel so they keep the prices high for more profit ! This doesn't just pertain to pork but Inflation is one thing and Greed is another .
Well, increased fuel prices also cause increased freight costs in getting those items to said stores, not to mention that the rest of the chain from farm to processor is also facing increased operating costs. So, it isn't necessarily greed, but rather that businesses are in business to make money, not to supply everyone with cheap food at their expense.

On sale for .87 this week. I see it for .49 a few times each summer. I'll but it any time its 1.49, but the current flyer is saying the regular price is 3.49 and I don't ever remember seeing it that high.
At $0.49 / lbs I would add a third freezer and fill it. That’s below wholesale case pricing. Around me in Ohio lately it runs $1.49 - $1.99. I’ve seen it fairly often up to $2.49. Meijers has it every couple months for $0.99.

Pork prices insane in NW MN. Lowest I found for shoulder was $1.99 with ribs and belly going beyond my price range.
Even so, at least around here, pork is still cheaper than beef or chicken. We buy all our pork and chicken from the store. We still eat a fair amount of beef because I raise cattle, but probably wouldn't otherwise. I may have to start raising a couple hogs and some meat birds if current trends continue.

Pork prices insane in NW MN. Lowest I found for shoulder was $1.99 with ribs and belly going beyond my price range.
Hoping to go shoot some wild pork again Thanksgiving weekend. Meat yield is 30-35% of live weight. So a nice 180 pounder would fill the rest of my freezer.
I would turn it all into grind and sausage. Likely all Pork Franks using Lem's Cured Franks seasoning, makes the best Franks I've ever eaten! :)

It swings WILDLY in my neck of the woods!

One week it'll be .97/lb in most places and the next it can go as high as $2.49/lb. The last one I bought was $1.19/lb about a month ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky