Port butt odd smell

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Glenn

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Knoxville, Tenn
Bought a large bone in pork butt yesterday to cook today. It was cryovac wrapped and had 3 weeks left till date. When I opened it this morning I noticed a “unusual smell” not like spoiled but just a faint odd smell. At first I was going to toss it but convinced myself it was just raw meat smell. Went ahead and injected with apple juice and ACV, and rubbed it down and put in the smoker. As it cooked there was that smell again. Stronger now. Had just about decided to toss it. Finally finished so I pulled it off and carried it inside. Now it smelled perfectly normal. I asked my wife to come take a whiff. She said it smelled normal to her and picked up a piece and ate it. Tastes great She said and walked away. I picked up some and tasted it. Tasted fine. Actually great. We ate sandwiches for supper. I guess we will know soon.

Reactions: JLeonard
In my limited experience I have found that if it is truly off then you know it. I have had some odd smells, but when it's bad the smell is more than just odd.

I've opened some cryovac meats where there was a smell that wasn't bad, just noticeable. Not a problem.

Only once did I open a pack of spare ribs that smelled off and were still before the sell-by date. Smoked them and they still had that smell. I had the receipt so I wrapped the ribs in foil and took them and the cryovac back to the grocer. He said they looked great, took one whiff, and gave me the choice of my money back or store credit.

I read the below reply on another forum several months ago about a similar experience. I did not verify it, but I found it interesting.

"I ran across these many years ago and thought they we spoiled. I spoke with several butchers who told me the following...

When meat is cyro-packed nitrogen is introduced to void the package of oxygen. Over time the nitrogen will react with moisture and natural sulfur molecules in the meat/bones. This will produce a strong odor when the package is opened, a quick rinse and sitting it the open for 10 minutes the odor is completely gone. Hydrogen Sulfide can produced when oxygen from water molecules bond with nitrogen molecules, the Hydrogen Sulfide gas has an odor the resembles raw sewage or rotten eggs.

These packages are referred to as gassers and are fine, they are not spoiled. I get these, maybe one out of 10 packages, and are not a problem to me anymore.

However if the odor does not dissipate fully in 15 minutes the meat has other issues and should not be cooked or consumed."

I read the below reply on another forum several months ago about a similar experience. I did not verify it, but I found it interesting.

"I ran across these many years ago and thought they we spoiled. I spoke with several butchers who told me the following...

When meat is cyro-packed nitrogen is introduced to void the package of oxygen. Over time the nitrogen will react with moisture and natural sulfur molecules in the meat/bones. This will produce a strong odor when the package is opened, a quick rinse and sitting it the open for 10 minutes the odor is completely gone. Hydrogen Sulfide can produced when oxygen from water molecules bond with nitrogen molecules, the Hydrogen Sulfide gas has an odor the resembles raw sewage or rotten eggs.

These packages are referred to as gassers and are fine, they are not spoiled. I get these, maybe one out of 10 packages, and are not a problem to me anymore.

However if the odor does not dissipate fully in 15 minutes the meat has other issues and should not be cooked or consumed."

Bingo cyro-vac whatever often has that off smell when opened. Letting air or rinsing usually takes care of the smell

Good to know. I've had the same thing happen, but just rinsed & dried, and it was fine.
Also had a bad rack of ribs. Yes, you can tell the difference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky