Pork skin curing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backsmokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Rhode Island
OK - this may be sacrilegious to some but I'm going to ask anyway.

While I like the various skin recipies that have been posted, I love fishing. What I don't like is what I have to pay for pork rind baits and teasers when I've got these beautiful pieces of skin that are the raw product.

Anyone out there have a favorite method of curing the skins for fishing?

Here are 2 methods I found on fishing forums.........

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyway, for fishing, this is what I do (not sure if it's the right way, but it works for me.)

Get your self some fatback with the rind attached. Cut/scrape off all the fat you can (and save it for culinary uses). To get the rest of the fat off, throw it in some simmering water for about 10 minutes. This will dissolve the rest of the fat, or at least make it soft enough to scrape off with a knife.

The rind may curl a bit, so after you take it out of the water and scrap off the fat,lLay it on a cutting board or table, and place a piece of wood over it, and weight it down for a few hours.

Then cut the rind into strips/shapes you want.

Put them in a glass jar. Get yourself some liquid gel type food coloring (I think Betty Crocker is one brand.) Follow the instructions on the package to dye Easter eggs (which involves hot water and vinegar), but make the coloring more concentrated. Pour it over the rinds, seal the jar, and let them sit a few days. They will adsorb most of the color, and the liquid will come out almost clear. If they rinds aren't bold/dark enough, add more coloring and let them sit a few more days.

When they are dark enough, drain off the liquid, and replace wih concentrated salt water. And you're good to go.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Moose, I've been making my own porkrind for many years and it couldn't be easier. The porkskin you have sounds to be the right one. You will simply need a non-corrosive jar with a lid(glass/plastic) and a box of kosher salt. Later you'll need a cutting board and sharp knife. This is the tricky part.....take the pork skin cover it in salt, roll it up. In the jar put so much salt that when you fill the jar with cold water it cannot all disolve. Put the pork in the jar close the lid and come back in 2 weeks. Thats step 1. As you can see its not rocket science. Let the salt and time do the work for you.
After 2 weeks minimum, take the skin out, rinse and lay it on the cutting board. Take your knife and scrape the skin both sides. You'll see all kinds of crap come off, both fat and dead tissue. This is the hard labor part, the harder you scrape the more fat you get out. When it seems that nothing more is coming off, rinse and repeat step 1 with clean brine solution. In a couple of more weeks repeat the scraping and its done. It should be a really bright white at this point almost flourescent. You can then cut it into shape, me I find a single edge razor to be best for this.
I have never found this to be a chore, you get one good sized skin for a couple of $ a box of salt and you get enough rinds for 2-3 years, even in a bluefish swarm or 2. Heck of a lot cheaper than the Uncle and you can make your own custom shapes too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky