Pork Shoulder Smoking Time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
in my big smoke hollow I sometimes get it to temp with the propane and then I have a couple large cast iron pans directly on to[p of burners. keep one pretty full and second one to adjust to wanted temp. and I put the bagged charred wood that's already started in chimney in the pan and some wood chunks in that and it keeps my smoker perfect temp. can still use propane if needed but only when windy usually...

I haven't had a chance to do any more experimentation, but I was thinking this weekend to try metsfan's suggestion and get some lava rock to put in the bottom of the smoker instead of using water, and see how that works out for me.

Thanks for the response, though!

So, got some lava rock, put in the bottom of the smoker, running dry water pan. 2 pork roasts, about 3.5 lbs each (basically 1 pork shoulder, cut in half). 90 minutes in, meat's at 150.

I think you are seriously shooting yourself in the foot by cooking anything that small.
Boston Butts approach 50% fat content, and, pre-cook, are at least 30% water by weight. When you increase surface area by doing stuff like cutting them in half or, God-forbid, taking out the shoulder blade, all you are doing is setting yourself up for failure..
Cook big or go home.

Last edited:
I think you are seriously shooting yourself in the foot by cooking anything that small.
Boston Butts approach 50% fat content, and, pre-cook, are at least 30% water b weight. When you increase surface area by doing stuff like cutting them in half or, God-forbid, taking out the shoulder blade, all you are doing is setting yourself up for failure..
Cook big or go home.

LOL

I don't necessarily disagree, but that's what I've got to work with at the moment. Since I'm new to this, I'd rather waste $10 than $100. Make sense?

Hes right don't cut it in half. Use like a 7-9 lbs pork butt or shoulder. It will come out so much better.

Unfortunately, that's the way the meat processor cut it. I didn't realize they were going to do that, or I'd've asked for the whole shoulder.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky