Pork Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

William Wilson

Original poster
May 3, 2020
Good afternoon all. New member and first post. I have a bit of a dilemna. I have a 5lb pork loin I want to smoke. The issue is my thermometer died on me. I don't want to go to the store just for this with all the virus stuff happening. I know that internal temp is supposed to be 145 degrees, but I have no way to accurately measure it. Can anyone give me an approximate cook time at 225 or 250 degrees? My only other option is to use a generic meat thermometer that does not have temperatures but rather rare, medium, and well gradients, Would I be alright to use this to "test" the temperature of the pork by equating the gradients to temperature based on steak to get a numerical value for the pork. ie steak is medium at 145 degrees and medium well at 150 degrees? Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's a tenderloin, 5 lb. Seems pretty heavy. I say use what you have to measure temp. Just go a little longer to make sure you get up to temp

Reactions: William Wilson
Are you sure it's a tenderloin, 5 lb. Seems pretty heavy. I say use what you have to measure temp. Just go a little longer to make sure you get up to temp

Yeah, that sounds more like a loin than a tenderloin. Either that or that was one BIG pig it came off. LOL.
145* finish temp will, in my opinion, be a bit over cooked. It will probably make your meat a bit dry. I prefer to cook my loin and tenderloin to 140*.
Gary

Reactions: William Wilson
Go with what you got. Use the meat therm and test at the top of Rare through the center of Medium. 135/140 feels like very hot Tap Water, unless you have kids and turned it to 120. Let your water run a minute or two, fill and empty a glass a couple times and stick the Therm in the water to see where it falls. That should get you close if not shy of 130-135. Rest 15-20 minutes and slice...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky