pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lathrop

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Port Townsend, Washington
I have recently tried smoking pork loins. Altho the results have been pretty good I have a question as to internal temp. My last one smoked away while I went out to dinner and when I checked the IT it was 178*. So I wrapped it in foil and let it cool for several hours on the counter then refrigerated it over night. It came out almost too tender and quite juicy. I feared it would be dry. I Did it in a BGE kamato pot. at 150* for 2 hours then 250* for another 2hr. +?
So what is a ballpark IT for that piece of meat. I have another in the freezer they run about 3.5 lb.
also any recipes for Canadian bacon would be welcome.

L, A safe internal temp for a pork loin would be 145* with a 3 minute rest.That temp would be medium rare and I usually strive for a 145-147 IT. Check out Bearcarvers recipe for Canadian bacon.

Reactions: indaswamp
L, A safe internal temp for a pork loin would be 145* with a 3 minute rest.That temp would be medium rare and I usually strive for a 145-147 IT. Check out Bearcarvers recipe for Canadian bacon.
Thanks, I was shooting for smoked to the point of almost falling apart. I have never liked rare pork.
I have just put 2 chunks of pork belly in Bearcarvers cure. I will check out his Canadian bacon recipe. I have used his cold smoking regimen for smoked salmon and Black cod for several years with excellent results.

l, I don't think your loin will fall apart as it is very lean. You need a pork butt for that, the loin will get very dry and tougher IMHO.

Reactions: chopsaw
Heres one I injected with Tony C's garlic butter . Held in fridge over night then smoked to IT of 145 , and had a long rest because it cooked fast . Tender and juicy .
20180804_183844.jpg

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky