New from CT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beardown

Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
Wanted to say hi.
I use a propane smoker for all my smoking but did just get a Primo and will start to experiment with that.
I am gonna try bacon for the first time and been doing a lot of research (how I found this site) and have a question.
I am gonna do the dry brine but see some say start it in a bag then on a rack. Others say start on the rack so that the water escapes.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Hi, and welcome from Iowa! Actually you can do either with your bacon. I always use a bag, some here do it without a bag on a rack. You'd probably have to try both to see what you prefer.

Ryan

Reactions: DieselTech
Wanted to say hi.
I use a propane smoker for all my smoking but did just get a Primo and will start to experiment with that.
I am gonna try bacon for the first time and been doing a lot of research (how I found this site) and have a question.
I am gonna do the dry brine but see some say start it in a bag then on a rack. Others say start on the rack so that the water escapes.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Welcome aboard. I am new to curing bacon as well, and have done it both ways. I actually have 3 bellies curing right now, 2 dry curing on a rack and 1 bagged just because I didn't have room in my fridge for another rack. From what I've learned, I prefer the dry cure because it's more of a set it and forget kind of process. No turning and messaging every couple of days like I do with the bagged. Simple apply the cure and whatever seasonings you may want, place it on a rack with a catch pan underneath, and let it go for about 2 weeks. With my dry cure, I've added white pepper and garlic powder to the bellies from the start. For now, that's my favorite bacon.

These are things I've learned from Eric SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , Doug DougE DougE , John Fueling Around Fueling Around along with others and have been happy with the results. These guys are all very willing to help and will answer any questions you may have. That's why I tagged them here...

Welcome from ... never mind where I am at the moment. In a couple days be home in NW MN for the summer.

Dry brine is the best for belly bacon IMHO
No matter which method you decide to do make sure to use SS racks. Chromed may have cracks in the plating that will react with the meat.

Reactions: DieselTech
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky