Pork jowl bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Got 13 beautiful pork jowls a couple weeks back. I trimmed them up nicely, put them in a standard dry cure (diggingdog farms bacon calculator), garlic powder, onion powder & black pepper for the seasoning. Rotated and massaged for 14 days, then let them dry for 48 hours in my fridge, and cold smoked them with hickory pellets, (mixed in w a little cherry at the end) and now have them resting back in the fridge. I used my Lang fatboy with racks removed, and did this over a couple days, avoiding the warmest parts of the day. I also keep a UV tarp over my cook chamber while smoking, and it brings the ambient temps of the cook chamber down about 15 degrees or so. Highest temp I hit was about 85 degrees. I took plenty of pics along the way. Still haven’t tasted it yet but I am absolutely dying to!!

EE5E351E-FFDE-4427-92C2-417BA68B5B8E.jpeg
68E8E6EC-075E-490A-9CAF-05B536084669.jpeg
I skinned them, so I could keep the skins for my boudin.
9754C521-C21E-4C32-86DF-27E0CC66C6BB.jpeg
just followed my pork belly bacon procedure, weighing my meat in grams, and measuring out the cure salt and sugar accordingly. I used about 1/4 cup of garlic, onion and black pepper in each bag (each bag had 4-5jowls)
B94C9C31-7F39-4A42-B0B0-2C374504EAEB.jpeg
hanging in my fridge, forming a very nice pellicle. The extra day bc of the weather really dried them out nicely.
43665FD2-816C-44BB-A843-09171C9802E5.jpeg
first time using meat hooks. I ordered these on eBay, super cheap and they worked like a charm!
23046890-81BF-4A48-8FD4-EE5F6C9AC7B6.jpeg
here they are when I first started smoking them.
FD0115E9-67E3-453A-80F1-908C1B32D014.jpeg
After about 8 hours...
F9874BA8-1018-4FDE-A3C3-7F3F4DAEE038.jpeg
after about 14 hours they are really starting to look and smell good!

6F0919E9-F74C-4F2A-9E54-BB7827AA6012.jpeg
FEA9030A-41BD-43CE-8F41-BD7AE8212C02.jpeg
That’s the color I’m looking for!! 1DDD8789-9915-46E7-86AF-0C69A22315D1.jpeg
4EE1A09D-C44D-44C5-9C15-EEC29B73B04D.jpeg
all done! The smell was almost more than I could stand.
797AC101-3501-4BC5-9B59-FB9785B96FBD.jpeg
and here they are now, currently resting. I don’t know how much longer I can wait!!

Last edited:
Color looks beautiful! Like!
I really love that bag marked skin!! (reserved for boudin right!)

I really need to go pick up some hog heads and make some. I can get the heads for $7 each and they will even split them for me...

Reactions: 73saint
Color looks beautiful! Like!
I really love that bag marked skin!! (reserved for boudin right!)

I really need to go pick up some hog heads and make some. I can get the heads for $7 each and they will even split them for me...
Inda where do you get the heads for that price? I paid $1.17/lb for these. I think the total was like $22. Is that a decent price?

They look great! You got some great color on them. Gonna be some good eating!

Ryan

Got 13 beautiful pork jowls a couple weeks back. I trimmed them up nicely, put them in a standard dry cure (diggingdog farms bacon calculator), garlic powder, onion powder & black pepper for the seasoning. Rotated and massaged for 14 days, then let them dry for 48 hours in my fridge, and cold smoked them with hickory pellets, (mixed in w a little cherry at the end) and now have them resting back in the fridge. I used my Lang fatboy with racks removed, and did this over a couple days, avoiding the warmest parts of the day. I also keep a UV tarp over my cook chamber while smoking, and it brings the ambient temps of the cook chamber down about 15 degrees or so. Highest temp I hit was about 85 degrees. I took plenty of pics along the way. Still haven’t tasted it yet but I am absolutely dying to!!

View attachment 456365
View attachment 456366
I skinned them, so I could keep the skins for my boudin.
View attachment 456367
just followed my pork belly bacon procedure, weighing my meat in grams, and measuring out the cure salt and sugar accordingly. I used about 1/4 cup of garlic, onion and black pepper in each bag (each bag had 4-5jowls)
View attachment 456371
hanging in my fridge, forming a very nice pellicle. The extra day bc of the weather really dried them out nicely.
View attachment 456368
first time using meat hooks. I ordered these on eBay, super cheap and they worked like a charm!
View attachment 456369
here they are when I first started smoking them.
View attachment 456370
After about 8 hours...
View attachment 456372
after about 14 hours they are really starting to look and smell good!

View attachment 456373
View attachment 456374
That’s the color I’m looking for!!View attachment 456377
View attachment 456375
all done! The smell was almost more than I could stand.
View attachment 456376
and here they are now, currently resting. I don’t know how much longer I can wait!!
Oh my !!... That has to be the best looking jowl bacon I have ever seen ! I think I can smell it right through my screen haha.
What did you run for smoke ? The color is phenomenal.. now I want a huge bag of jowls to cure and smoke lol. Big thumbs up on that !

I'm sure I can find it with a Google search, but I was curious as to what's the difference between your jowl bacon and guanciale? The seasoning/cure? Or are they essentially the same thing?

That's a lot of piggies! Personally I would take the time to skin them. Gonna be a PIA but for me I would rather do it all at once and be done with it....also if I was making that much jowl bacon id deffinatly be making some pork jowl bacon burnt ends at some point. If you've never done it try it out...you wont be dissapointed!
Never had that before, but it sure looks good!
Al
Thanks Al!
They look great! You got some great color on them. Gonna be some good eating!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan!
Oh my !!... That has to be the best looking jowl bacon I have ever seen ! I think I can smell it right through my screen haha.
What did you run for smoke ? The color is phenomenal.. now I want a huge bag of jowls to cure and smoke lol. Big thumbs up on that !
Hickory, and I blended in some cherry towards the end.
I'm sure I can find it with a Google search, but I was curious as to what's the difference between your jowl bacon and guanciale? The seasoning/cure? Or are they essentially the same thing?
I THINK the difference is smoke, and time
LOVE pork jowl, you are about to have some good eating, great work!
Thanks!!

Guanciale is not smoked . I think its dry cured . Cure 2 .

Looks like it all turned out real nice! My mouth is watering! Your going to have some good meals made with that bacon. Beautiful color on them as well!

Man those look awesome. I’ve never had it but recently bought some that’s already smoked. I have it in the freezer. I should ask the guy where I got my hog to save me jowls. He killed another 8 hogs today.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky