Pork Belly Roasted, Confit, and Smoked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

josh swanson

Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Titletown Green Bay WI
    We have been serving thick chunks of pork belly at the restaraunt as long as I have worked there.  Over the years we have evolved our cooking methods and sources for pb.  When I started we were using comercial pork and roasting/braising untill tender then cooling over night sliceing into large peices grilling and serving.  Since then we have been able to source all of our pb from local farmers with great heritage breed hogs amazing quality meat that was upgrade one.  I also devoloped differnt seasoning blends/cures finally settling on what I call chili cure upgrade two.  The owner of the restaraunt gave us a a used MES 40 a while back and we started cooking our bellys in there.  Before this we had used many methods in the oven so if anybody wants to roast a belly in the oven just ask I know a few methods.  Now with the MES we would smoke at 225 for 4-6 hrs or untill the bellys were tender and had good color.  They came out well and we were all pleased however filling the chip tray during (dinner)service was a pita as everyone in the kitchen was often busy with orders.  Then I found the AMNPS!  I used it for the first time yesterday it worked awsome no filling the chip tray set the temp on the MES lit the AMNPS and let her roll just beautiful thin blue smoke upgrade three.
3b581a73_photo.jpg
 Looks good ;) gotta run time for work.

Last edited:
    dj54 asked me about step by step how to roast a belly and smoke one so I thought I would post it here.

#1 Start with the best quality pork belly you can get try to find a local preferably heritage breed.  If you are having a hard time contact Niman Ranch(http://www.nimanranch.com/Index.aspx) they have great meat.  Having great meat will make a lot of difference in the final product. 

#2 Next take your favorite spice rub, cure, or a simple salt n sugar mixture(I like to use chili cure see above) season the belly on all sides then place in fridge covered overnight or for up to a week. Before cooking rinse off cure pat dry and place on some sort of rack prefferably plastic you can get them at restaurant supply shops they are called drain pans(http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_104938) leave uncoverd for around 3-4 hours. 

Ok oven roasting: preheat oven to 500 degrees place pb in a pan large enough to hold it with room to spare for rendered fat.  Place in oven for one hour if using a whole belly, smaller peices may need less time.  After one hour drop oven temp to 200 degrees cook for 2-4 hours or untill meat pulls away easily but not falling apart.  Remove from oven let cool on counter for a hour or so the place in fridge overnight do not cover untill fully cooled!  It is important to let belly cool in its own fat. 

#4The next day remove from cold fat cut into thick slices thick as you like I prefer one inch.  Grill or pan fry untill crispy enjoy. 

Once you have built up enough fat from two or three roasts you can confit a belly follow steps 1 and 2.  Preheat oven to 300 dgrees.  Melt saved up pork fat use it to cover belly in pan large enough to hold it all.  Place in oven cook 3-4 hours or untill done once again when the meat is giving but not falling apart.  Allow to cool in fat overnight.  Belly should be fully covered in fat if this is the case as long as you leave it covered it will last a very long time in a fridge.  This is a old preservation trick mostly used for duck or goose but works for many things(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_confit).  When you are ready to eat just follow step 4.

As for smoking this is very simple follow steps 1 and 2.  Preheat smoker to 225 degrees place belly in smoker smoke for 3-5 hours or untill done once again giving but not falling apart.  When they are done pull and let cool on counter for a hour or so then tightly wrap in plastic and put in fridge the next day follow step 4.  Cut the belly a little thinner(1/2") and use to top burgers or use in blts to blow your mind.

Even after all this sometimes the are parts of the belly that are too fatty for even me I usually chop these into small peices and render in a pan for delicious fat to cook things in try with fresh scallops or shrimp!  I also like to spike BBQ sauce with this fat especially the smoked fat. 

Enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky