pondering a wood fired

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smakurownassbbq

Original poster
Nov 30, 2017
Hey guy,

Im in the market of a wood fired smoker. Nothing to big, Was thinking of the new OKJ reverse flow long horn. Any thoughts? Am I wasting my money at 400 to 600$ or is spending 1k+ going to give me a much better heat controlled smoker? I now use a gas cabinet smoker but feel I could produce a better product with wood fired.....

thanks

I wouldn't say you are wasting money at the $4-$6 hundred but if you can spend the 1k+ you will notice big difference in how the cook goes. Sure you can cook great food on a cheaper smoker but the learning curve is higher and with needing to mod most likely i personally did go with the more expensive smoker. I will tell you feel the pain once and buy the one you want or feel the pain every time you light your smoker wondering how much better it could be.

I have not regretted my purchase of my Lang since i got her. the only regret are sometimes i wish i had more meat to smoke on her or more time to use her!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I agree with Aaron!
A Lang is expensive, but a real joy to cook on. They hold a steady temp in just about any weather.
It will last you a lifetime, the cheaper smokers rust out & you end up buying 2 or 3 of them.
Al

I agree with Al and Aaron a if you have the money look for a new/used Lang. You won't regret it.
Oklahoma Joes put out good Q but it just takes more work.
Offset smokers are more work but the rewards are worth it.

Thanks guys... I'm no stranger to babysitting. . Started on a Brinkman charcoal bullet smoker. Went to a smoky mountain gas and thought I her the mother lode...but now I'm ready for wood. I know the cheaper won' last as long...juat didn' know how hard they are to keep heat. Is there a place you know of to buy used langs?

I looked online for several months to find a used quality pit in my area. No luck, but upstate NY really isn't a BBQ state like the southern states.

Pick a distance your willing to travel to look at a used pit and check every day.

I ended up buying new and having it delivered, which wasn't cheap.

wood fired smokers are a lot more work and require a lot more attention. Be prepared for that. It's not the kind of smoking where you can get it going and walk away for four hours or so. you have a wood fire with all the irregularities of nature associated with wood such as moisture, size and type of wood. Get a good moisture analyzer for wood. it will save you some time when shopping for wood. If it is too wet or too green it's a pain to use. You can also augment your fuel with lump or briquette charcoal. Get some thermometers for your cooking chamber. Expect temperature fluctuations between 250-375F anything lower means your fire is out. anything higher and you need to vent the heat.

I regret every day I didn't buy a Lang. I went cheap, and it works OK after several mods, but temp management is much harder. I don't mind tending a fire, but it can quickly deteriorate if you don't stay on top of it. I agree with Aaron 100%.

Reactions: phatbac
Sometimes I think I made off like a bandit when I got my offset for $100. (see sig)

I'm sure I don't know what I'm missing compared to a better rig but this one has been just fine for my needs. Yes they do require attention. I usually combine smoking time with some yard/garden/patio activity that keeps me within sight of the smoker so I can monitor the blue smoke.

By the way,
Welcome. I didn't see you in roll call.
You can find a high quality smaller wood burner I'm sure.. good luck.
giphy (2).gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky