Playing the waiting game now

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DemonPit

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Michigan
Tossed a massive 20lb brisket in the smoker at 8pm last night at 200*. 9 am it finally hit 170*IT. She's wrapped and now waiting patiently for 210*IT to pull and let it rest for 3hrs.

I shucked 3 ears of corn into a pan, added some butter and hickory smoked salt/honey rub to it, and some beans. Put them.in the smoker as well to get that oh-so-good smoky flavor. 20230819_190827.jpg 20230819_195919.jpg

Attachments

• 20230820_124520.jpg
    20230820_124520.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 34
Tossed a massive 20lb brisket in the smoker at 8pm last night at 200*. 9 am it finally hit 170*IT. She's wrapped and now waiting patiently for 210*IT
Just an observation but if you're running a pit temp of 200* it's going to take a LONG time for the brisket to hit an IT of 210* :emoji_wink: You'll not likely see the brisket get above 185 or so at that pit temp.

Robert

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I forgot to mention, the 200* pit temp is just for overnight. I turn it up to 250* when I get up in the am (about 8).

This will be my last big brisket I do. Im
still 8* Under my target temp. I did leave 1 temp probe on the grate to get a temp check. It seems like I'm 25* less than my pid temp setting. Pit is set to 300*. Spare probe is 3" to the right of fire cup.

Ordered a pizza for dinner tonight. I'll guess brisket is on the menu for tomorrow.

I still have a 20# brisket in the freezer for the next run.

I cooked a 22lber 1 time low and slow, 22 hours, never again lol it was good but no better than others at a lot less time

Reactions: DemonPit
Target temp is just a number where you start checking for probe tenderness. It ain't done until it probes tender.

I'd actually be checking probe tenderness about where you're at ...... it varies.

It's probe tender. Resting in the oven. I'll be sneaking some samples after 9:30p. Dinner for tomorrow. It was a 22hr cook. I think with these big ones, I'll start at 225* vs 200* overnight.

It temperature 211-213 all across.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE
Hopefully your brisket turns out as good as mine did. We ran 180 overnight because my settings on the Pro 34 were 180 or 225, nothing in between. Ours started at 16 lbs before trimming but we did not trim a lot off.

Ran 180 overnight and then up to 225 when I got up. Once wrapped I turned it up to 275

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky