Pid controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wakulla

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 5, 2019
I have had 2 masterbuilt electric smokers. Always used sidebox wood smokers before but as i get older set it and forget it has much more appeal.

Anyway i really have never been happy with the temperature swings i get with the electric smoker. So i decided to see what i could do about it economically.

I bought a thermomart pid with time and temperature control and a built in 30amp relay for $50 off amazon. Used a new thermister from my thermoworks smoke kit. Just gutted out all the masterbuilt electronics and rewired it with the pid. Nothing to it really. A couple of runs of high temp appliance wire and remove the masterbuilt temp sensors and replace with the new ones. Mount the controller in a plastic box and install it with the same screws that held the masterbuilt controller in place.

Now my controller and thermoworks smoke agree on temperature within a few degrees depending on where in the smoker i place the smoke sensor.

Also mounted a pizza stone for a heat sink just above the chip sensor.

Now after warmup my temp. Only varies from 221 to 228 for an entire smoking cycle. My wife said those are the best ribs yet

Reactions: JC in GB
This the one you got?

71FCXJSXL0L._SL1500_.jpg

Yeap just picked it because it had a built in relay.

Just drill out the pop rivets in the back and pull out all the old wiring and replace it with the wiring diagram with the controller.

On the bottom of the smoker where the chord goes in i removed the electronics board and turned that into a junction box

I did not use the thermister that came with it. Used one from my thermoworks smoke with the high temp. Wire. Put it in the same place as the masterbuilt with high temp silicone caulking.

Anyone know how to post a pic from my phone

Last edited:
From your phone click the upload a file and go to gallery or the location your pic is in. You may have several options or the three horizontal bars in the upper right or left corner.
Yeap just picked it because it had a built in relay.

Just drill out the pop rivets in the back and pull out all the old wiring and replace it with the wiring diagram with the controller.

On the bottom of the smoker where the chord goes in i removed the electronics board and turned that into a junction box

I did not use the thermister that came with it. Used one from my thermoworks smoke with the high temp. Wire. Put it in the same place as the masterbuilt with high temp silicone caulking.

Anyone know how to post a pic from my phone

Also interested in pics. I love my MES, but the controller leaves a lot to be desired.

20190505_122745.jpg
20190505_122720.jpg

As you can see i drilled out the back rivits and put the back on with 3/4" #10 machine screws.

All wiring is concealed. All original wiring and electronics was removed. I wired up the pid controller according to the enclosed instructions.

Simple as pie and works better than original by a long shot. Temp. Swings are 3 to 4 degrees each way.

Reactions: rhinopkc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky