Picnic Hock "BBB" can it be done?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

justin prive

Original poster
Jan 12, 2017
Hey guys,

Like I was saying in the Roll Call forum sections. I am NEW to this game. Since I haven't found anything in the search about this I'm gonna assume it's probably a dumb newbie question...

I have a nice fresh picnic hock at home and I was looking at some of the recipes for Buckboard Bacon and wondering if anyone has used a picnic hock to make BBB before?

Any help is appreciated! Cheers!

I haven't made BBB from a hock before, but the main concern I see is the fact that there isn't that much meat on the hock to allow you to slice it nicely. You could use it as you would belly ends, for cooking, where shape and thickness are not critical though. You will still get the bacon flavour from it.

Personally I like hocks with beans, in soups, terrines. If it's meaty you can roast it/bbq it.

Cured or not, smoked or not it's all good.

This one looks like it has pretty decent fat to meat ratio for bacon as long as I can butcher it properly. I'll wait a bit and see if anyone see's any other problems with it but it only cost my $10 so I'm willing to give it a shot if there's no big problems with it.

Thanks Atomic!

I wasn't referring to meat/fat ratio but the structure of meat/fat around the bone.

But go ahead if you set your mind on it, is not like you have to trash it, you can still eat it even if not sliceable.

Post pics.

Ohhh... Duh, sorry about that. So if I can butcher out the bone it might work.

On a second read...Will you debone before curing/smoking? If yes you can roll the meat in a log shape before smoking. If you hot smoke it it will keep the shape afterwards and will be easy to slice.

On a second read...Will you debone before curing/smoking? If yes you can roll the meat in a log shape before smoking. If you hot smoke it it will keep the shape afterwards and will be easy to slice.
Yeah, I will be de-boning it first. Awesome idea, I guess I'll start a thread tonight or tomorrow to keep you posted and see if it works or not. 

Thanks for the help!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky