Pickled Eggs and Pickled Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Made some pickled eggs and some pickled "sausage".

Pickled the eggs in a 50/50 mixture of 5% white vinegar/Frank's Redhot, with mustard seed, crushed red pepper and smoke whole black peppercorns,

the "sausages" are jut cheap old hotdogs/franks. for this batch I used Oscar Mayer, but other brands work just fine, as long as they are fully cooked.

Pickled these in one third white vinegar/one third water/one third Franks Redhot, with the mustard and peppers as well.

I leave them in the fridge for a minimum of 1 week before sampling.
pickled eggs.jpg

We love pickled eggs. That looks like a good recipe to try. Thanks for sharing.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: bill ace 350
I've pickled eggs many times. But not with this recipe. I have to try it. How hot are the eggs?
They're not very hot at all. the pepper and hot sauce just adds flavor with very little bite, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Steve H
Nice...I definitely going to try this are they quart jars? How many hot dogs or eggs can you fit in each jar ? Thx

I got 11 medium sized brown eggs in the jar....

I used 2 1/2 packages Oscar Mayer bun length....

1 1/4 packages per jar. You can fit almost a full pack if you pack them tightly, but didn't worry about it this time.

I always cut one of the dogs in half instead of thirds. I place these in the jar last, forcing them under the "shoulder" of the jar. This keeps the smaller ones from floating, keeping them submerged in the liquid.

Reactions: pa42phigh
I got 11 medium sized brown eggs in the jar....

I used 2 1/2 packages Oscar Mayer bun length....

1 1/4 packages per jar. You can fit almost a full pack if you pack them tightly, but didn't worry about it this time.

I always cut one of the dogs in half instead of thirds. I place these in the jar last, forcing them under the "shoulder" of the jar. This keeps the smaller ones from floating, keeping them submerged in the liquid.

Ahh-Man!! Those must be Awesome, Bill !! :)
Especially the "Hot" Hot Dogs!!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: pa42phigh
Ok got everything bought today just been busy. Do youhave a estimated measure the hot pepper chips, mustard seeds and pepper corns? thank you

Ok got everything bought today just been busy. Do youhave a estimated measure the hot pepper chips, mustard seeds and pepper corns? thank you
I went with 1 teaspoon of each and through in a teaspoon of mince garlic

Attachments

• 038BEBD2-1B86-4333-B745-2159532B88E1.jpeg
    038BEBD2-1B86-4333-B745-2159532B88E1.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 13
Bill I have no idea how I MISSED seeing this,I love that stuff wife not to crazy about me eating it.LOL
Richie

When I was younger... in my drinking days, a buddy and I would go to the bar and shoot pool for $ to pay the rent/food bills.
my local pub had local sausage and eggs pickled in large jars for really cheap.
I learned to LOVE my pickled sausage and eggs... BUT no one else around me liked that fact after an hour or so.... they really got my innerds rolling!

But for a snak with beer, I don't think it gets much better than pickled sausage, and after reading about the hot sauce???
Well, I just HAVE to try this!!!

thanks for the inspiration!

Reactions: Burner76
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky