Picked up a new hobby

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WinterSmoker

Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
I’m from Florida and have been living in the northeast for over a decade. Winters are brutal. No sun, so cold. I just hibernate and wait for spring. This winter I picked up a new hobby, smoking meat! Turns out it’s a great indoor/outdoor activity, I can simultaneously watch my 1 year old kid, and at the end of the day, I have amazing food! Can’t wait to get better and learn more techniques and recipes.

welcome aboard.

Where are you located ?? I split my time between my place i the green mountains of VT and the Adirondack mountains of upstate NY so feel your pain. This morning was the the warmest we have had in a week or so and it was still -4. Yesterday it was-16 and day before -21 and we had a stretch around xmas were for three weeks it never got above -15 and averaged -30 but the lows were in the -48 to -50 range

So if you need any first have guidance in the area of smoking ask away. I do most of my cold smoking of butter and cheese in the cooler temps as its easier to keep the cooker cooler

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF! Sounds like you are hooked on smoking and you have come to the right place for friendly hints and help. I am in Missouri and it gets plenty cold enough here!

Thanks all. I’m very excited to be a part of the community. Back in December I threw some wood chips on a grill to make a brisket (it wasn’t so bad!). I quickly bought an Akorn Jr. on sale and it changed my life. My birthday just passed so I used that opportunity to buy a WSM. Now I want to develop the skills to match my hardware. Clearly I’ve been missing something in my life, and it was meat smoking.

Welcome aboard, plenty of us WSM users here. Also some of us reside in the north east as well. Which size did you get?

Chris

It’s the 18”. I smoked salmon and trout last week. It was delicious, and tasted even better the next day. I guess the smoke flavor really settles over time. Going to experiment with a couple other seafoods this weekend, shrimp, scallops haddock and blue catfish. Who knows if they’ll come out good. Only one way to find out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky