Pepper on Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Seen I was way low on bacon after the in-laws came by (I call them, Out-Laws, lol)
So I pulled a couple of bellies out of the fridge to start some more. All was good until I realized I was completely out of white pepper, dang! Really didn’t want to run to town for more, so thought about it and realized that we exclusively use a Tri-blend of pepper corns for our day to day cooking. They are a medley of black, white and red pepper corns. We love this mix for general cooking. Any way, our grinder which is a twist and turn model, was full of the medley and I thought why not. Turned it down to the finest setting and improvised. This smelled fantastic. We shall see how it tastes but I’m optimistic. Just something for those that follow my dry bacon process. I will update in about 14 days.

IMG_2066.jpeg

Seen I was way low on bacon after the in-laws came by (I call them, Out-Laws, lol)
So I pulled a couple of bellies out of the fridge to start some more. All was good until I realized I was completely out of white pepper, dang! Really didn’t want to run to town for more, so thought about it and realized that we exclusively use a Tri-blend of pepper corns for our day to day cooking. They are a medley of black, white and red pepper corns. We love this mix for general cooking. Any way, our grinder which is a twist and turn model, was full of the medley and I thought why not. Turned it down to the finest setting and improvised. This smelled fantastic. We shall see how it tastes but I’m optimistic. Just something for those that follow my dry bacon process. I will update in about 14 days.

View attachment 697206
Looks great. I have not had much luck bringing pepper flavor to the bacon. I will try the fine grind next time.

Our daily pepper grind is the medley.
Daughter that does NOT like black pepper can tolerate a medley.

I keep stock of black, white, and mixed whole peppercorns.

History
ALL pepper years ago was white pepper but has more processing so more expensive to produce. Black pepper is the unripe peppercorn and the make a buck suppliers convinced us black pepper is superior. Black pepper has a bitterness my daughter does not want in pure form.

Where are y'all finding the tri colored peppercorns ? Don't believe I've ever seen them ...
I think Sam's has it. The Mart of Wal has it. Kroger affiliates are good bets for seasonings I can't find anywhere else (I can't find file' powder anywhere except our Harris Teeters). The Latino stores probably have it in a 2 gallon bucket.

Can't wait to hear what you think of it, when it's all done. 👍. It sure sounds like it will be good.

Sorry for the late replies. Not getting some email notices and it is on my side.
This is my go to for peppercorns. Black, white, pink and green.
Not sure on the Tones brand. Be sure to read the label. Some substitute coriander seed for white pepper
Where are y'all finding the tri colored peppercorns ? Don't believe I've ever seen them ...
Try a Sprouts Market. I think they have one in your area.

Sorry for the late replies. Not getting some email notices and it is on my side.

Not sure on the Tones brand. Be sure to read the label. Some substitute coriander seed for white pepper

Try a Sprouts Market. I think they have one in your area.
Never knew about the coriander, thanks for the tip! I read the label and it says black, white, pink and green peppercorns. If I ever have to switch brands I'll know to double check.

I'll be waiting for the finish.

Point in advance for sure
Chris

Well next week is here. Temps are getting warmer and harder to control heat in the smoker. I had the burner turned down (needle valve) to about what a large candle would produce. That smoke generator is game changer for sure. So much easier to smoke in warmer weather. So all done, time to rest and bloom, then bag and into fridge for a rest before slicing.

IMG_2085.jpeg

After resting and blooming.

IMG_2086.jpeg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky