Payment for cutting wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Oceantoad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 26, 2022
My son and his roommate helped me cut up some downed maple trees at my uncles today. I'll be using these splits for my pit along with Ash and some store bought Hickory. I said to pay them for their work, stop by at 5:00 and I'll have some ribs done. I trimmed and seasoned up 4 large slabs of spare ribs for "Ole Black Betty". I should have picked up some PBR to pass the time. Pics to follow. Just to damn tired from cutting the wood and then standing up to trim/season those ribs.

Fair payment for cutting and splitting wood. Especially if its as hot there as it is here!

Jim

Well folks, I'm sorry to report that this rib cook was a COMPLETE failure. I started the grill today around 12/12:15. Let her burn down for about an hour. In the meantime I trimmed up 4 slabs of spare ribs. SPG them all over and placed them on the grill. Had a pan of water on lower rack near the firebox. All ribs went on the lower rack. There are three different temp gages on the grill, grate level left and right and then one up high. Grate level near the stack (left) was reading 250 - 300. Right side 350 - 400 and close to same with the center. I tried to keep the temp down but the wind was coming from the east and that's the side of the firebox. It was like having built in bellows. I checked the fire about every 30 minutes to see if the temp was dropping. Nope. Left the lid of CC closed also. At around 3:15 I pulled them all off to wrap in tinfoil. At this time they looked pretty good. Great color and some retraction of the meat. I placed some ingredients on bottom and top and wrapped them separately, meat side down and back on the grill. At 4:30 I shuffled the 4 slabs on the lower rack so none of them got any excess heat for a long period of time. It seems that the temp gages were all reading 300 +. I pulled them off at 5:20 to remove the tinfoil, place back on the grill and add sauce to the top. Here is where I discovered the tragedy. 2 of the 4 were burned so bad I could not remove from the tinfoil. The 2 that I was able to remove the tinfoil are not fit for human consumption. Or at least I wasn't about to serve this to anyone. I called up my son to cancel dinner tonight and I'll try it again in a few days. Obviously the problem was too high of heat. I thought I was keeping pretty good tabs on the heat and time of the cook. Guess not. Here is a pic of the 2 that I was able to remove from the tinfoil.
burnt ribs.jpg

So sorry to hear. The winds here certainly can be challenging too. I hope you will be able to feed them ribs another day and post those pictures.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky