Pastronomy 101

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alelover

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Found a day old sirloin tip roast on sale. Looked good so I decided it might make a decent pastrami. And for 6 bucks I couldn't resist.

Pastrami #8
2.43 pound Sirloin Tip Roast
Need .50 tsp of Cure #1

Brine Pump

1 C. Clean Water (such as spring water)

¼ tsp Cure #1

1 tsp Salt

½ TBS Brown Sugar

1 tsp Powdered Garlic

8 Allspice Berries (Crushed)

Combine above ingredients and warm to dissolve.  Refrigerate until very cold (about 40° F). Strain. Pump the meat full with the brine.
After the brisket has had its fill of brine (hopefully all of it), pour out excess brine from pan and coat it all over with Rub #1.

Rub #1
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp course ground coriander
1 tsp onion powder
1/3 tsp Cure #1
1 TBS Brown Sugar
1 TBS Salt
½ tsp Paprika
1 tsp garlic powder

Add brine to the bag with the meat.

Seal & Refrigerate for 5-7 days, turning and massaging at least once a day top to bottom.

Smoking Day

Take out the beautifully cured "corned beef" (because that's what it is at this point), and wash off the beautiful rub we put on 5 days ago.  Then, put it in some clean water to soak for an hour.  Go light your pit.

Rub #2

½ tsp Paprika

½ tsp Garlic Powder

1 TBS crushed Coriander

1 TBS Juniper Berries crushed

2 tsp Freshly Crushed Black Pepper (or more, if you like it really peppery on the outside)

Remove your corned beef from the bath and pat dry with some paper towels.  Then, coat all over with remaining rub.

Put in 225ºF smoker. Smoke with the wood of you choice. I like maple or pecan.

I am using my gasser today with an A-Maze-N smoker filled with maple pellets.

Be back in a few hours.

Good looking recipe. I am not afraid of stuff passed sell by dates, within reason. Lots of perfectly fine food can be had cheap...JJ

Thanks guys. I bought it on 4/22. Sell by is usually the day it's cut at Harris-Teeter. If it's still red it's still good as far as I'm concerned.
icon_biggrin.gif

Do you steam your Pastrami or just slice it up?

I have always steamed, never smoked and served.

I really looks Great, can't wait to hear how it tastes.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Tuesday night dinner. Cut off a hunk to slice up for sammies.

POS meat slicer still does a decent job. Got it pretty thin.

My custom steamer.

Cricket's Reuben.

Preparing my Pastrami and Swiss with Grey Poupon of course. And a Klaussen pickle.

It came out very well. I prefer a bit more fat but wifey likes it lean so she was very happy.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky