Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tastetester

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Iowa
Yesterday I raised my fridge smoker build from some years ago to life again after about a 5 year layoff. For the inaugural run I picked up 3 corned beef points and coated them the Better than NY rub.
IMG_1789.JPG

Ready to pop in to the smoker. I used Pit Boss Fruit, which is a blend of apple, cherry and maple. It gave a mild smoke. Ran it at 225 degrees controlled by my new Auber WSD-1200GPH controller with meat probe. The smoker was still going strong, but I ran out of steam when the largest one got to 167 internal in the largest piece. That was about 8 hours after I started 3 lb chunks of cold meat.
IMG_1821.JPG

I pulled it and figured I would give it a steam today. Cut into the smallest one,
IMG_1826.JPG

Awfully tender. They finally made it under the tent about a half pound lighter.
IMG_1834.JPG

And went out to rest in my 30 some degree car for the night. This morning I took another look at it.
IMG_1835.JPG

Okay
IMG_1837.JPG

Slices nice, now the all important,
IMG_1851.JPG

Tastes good on rye.

Should I steam it, or call it good?

Have a great Sunday,
Michael

Attachments

• IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1790.JPG
    IMG_1790.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 1
That looks fantastic !! I ate so much for breakfast I feel sick , but I would have to eat that !
Nice work .
Should I steam it, or call it good?
I would call it good . If you like it as is . I never do steam mine .
That looks great .
How did the auber get to temp and hold it ?

Reactions: tastetester
Thanks guys. It is very tasty. I got two of them into the fridge, but I seem intent on eating that last one until I pass out or something. And I hope it's not or something. Yes, Al, I like the points, too. And these I picked up for $1.99/lb, so it was good for an inexpensive, and tasty, smoker test.

Thanks,
Michael

Nice Pastrami! I'm not picky about point or flat, I just love Pastrami...
I'm really jealous about the $1.99#. You used to be able to pick up some Corned Beef on sale around New Year's and St. Patty's Day here for about that but not anymore. Three times that! I've been brining my own Corned Beef because of that, but Brisket has jumped to $4 and more for Choice at GFS and you need to finance a Prime at Costco....

Reactions: tastetester
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. It was definitely a successful return to the smoking arts, as far as I'm concerned.
Nice Pastrami! I'm not picky about point or flat, I just love Pastrami...
I'm really jealous about the $1.99#. You used to be able to pick up some Corned Beef on sale around New Year's and St. Patty's Day here for about that but not anymore. Three times that! I've been brining my own Corned Beef because of that, but Brisket has jumped to $4 and more for Choice at GFS and you need to finance a Prime at Costco....
I remember when I could regularly get it after St Pattys for 99 cants. Damn computers have fine tuned inventory control too well. Ha ha. I looked the day before at a local grocery store and they wanted $5.99 and it didn't look as well trimmed as this stuff was. It's Choice grade from Aldi. They usually have nice looking whole raw briskets at the Walmart here. Sometime this summer I will probably get one and cure it myself. I did a couple of half briskets that way back when I was smoking before and they turned out very nicely. Pastrami is probably what I smoked the most in the past.

Thanks all,
Michael

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky