Oysters, 1st time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
2 hrs at 225* is WAY, WAY, WAY, too long and hot for any shellfish.
I use an Amaz'in smoke maze and oak dust in a weber kettle for both heat and smoke.

Open all the vents, light the maze and place it where you'd normally put the charcoal. Oysters take the smoke VERY quickly, so I smoke them for 20 to 30 minutes MAX. If you want them a little firmer place them on a cookie cooling rack then pour an inch or two of boiling water into a tray, place the oysters above the boiling water then cover with foil until they firm up a touch.

To store them put them in a Ball Jar and cover the oysters with cottonseed oil.
They will keep in the refer for up to 10 days.

I have friends in the seafood bizz, I had to beg for this recipe for yrs till they gave it to me. I buy 100 to 500 med sized oysters a few times a yr, and what we don't eat either raw or BBQ'd with in 2 days we smoke the rest and give jars away as gifts. Furthermore, I have people asking for smoked oysters all the time, they go nuts over them. I could easily live off of seafood yr round, it's by far my favorite food group.

I saw the part that you like them DONE, when you wrote "meat", in that case instead of shucking them raw, place them round side down on the grate over some real oak wood coals/ oak wood burn'd down to glowing coals until they pop. Then with leather welding gloves, tear the flat part of the shell off, close down all the vent except leave the top vent open halfway for 5 to 10 minutes, and they will be firm with plenty of smoke and not overly smokey.

Dan.
I like oysters 2 ways- either deeply smoky & firm, or raw & juicy. The middle ground just doesn't do it for me. But that's just me...

Reactions: forktender
Every once in awhile I head home via Highway 1 in Sonoma County and stop for a bag of 50 from Tomales Bay Oyster Company and bust out the shucking knife. Some of them raw on the half shell and some bbq'ed. Makes for a tasty party with lemons, hot sause and bbq sauce. Once the rains and run off stops I need to do that again.
I've been to Fisherman's Cove in Bodega Bay a few times, and love how they do oysters. Last time I was there, a buddy & I downed 4 dozen over two days.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Being from southeast Louisiana we do oysters often . If you place the whole oyster on your gill for a few minutes it will pop open a little samething works for clams then opening the rest of the way is easy!!
That's the way my buddy makes them. It's his one dish. But he adds melted butter, tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce to them in the shell. Delish!
Another friend is making deep-fried ones tonight.
If raw, I prefer them with some shaved lemon ice over the top.

We're lucky to live within an hour of the Pacific coast, and one of our local markets always has fresh in-the-shell oysters. My wife & I love the canned smoked oysters, so I decided to smoke some fresh ones on my Bronco. Shucking them isn't much fun, but these are some big beauties; I'll post more photos when they're finish
We're lucky to live within an hour of the Pacific coast, and one of our local markets always has fresh in-the-shell oysters. My wife & I love the canned smoked oysters, so I decided to smoke some fresh ones on my Bronco. Shucking them isn't much fun, but these are some big beauties; I'll post more photos when they're finished.

View attachment 689374
I love oysters. Raw and cooked. Lots of em, but the family likes them cooked. Sometimes I will put on some SPG and a few pieces of rosemary, let them smoke, then before I take them off I put on some mozzerella and any other cheese we have. They will not last but a few mintues when they get ahold of them. NIcely done Broozer!

Reactions: broozer
Great Post! I have never tried to smoke oysters as I prefer them raw or topped and baked or broiled. garlic butter or cream, parm or manchego and bacon grilled so they are just warmed through and still jiggly and juicy.
Love forktenders idea and will definitely try that method but not sure i'd ever have enough left over to jar no matter how many I made, lol.

Those look great and I prefer mine either cold or steamed and had a dz last night.
Steamed on a cracker with some McCormick cocktail sause.

Keith

Reactions: broozer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky