Outdoor kitchen ideas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chp

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2020
Colorado
Just finished pushing snow around again and had plenty of time to think about spring and outdoor projects. We have a decent backyard, but I have been thinking of getting rid of the hot tub and putting in an outdoor kitchen. I like the idea of fabricating it from old tube steel I have, adding a concrete counter top and facing it in old galvanized. We are in Colorado, so not sure about having a sink (dealing with the hassle of keeping things from freezing). I would like to hear what others have done or ideas you have for the space. The concrete pad the tub sits on is 8’ x 8’. What would you include? Layout? If you have outdoor kitchens, I would appreciate pictures. Here are a few pictures of my current deck:
F750DCA9-5FEC-431D-9BCE-2231D211AECE.jpeg

FA23CBB7-FC22-4463-A459-4E655AD81CF5.jpeg

thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Is your hot tub natural gas? I've been planning an outdoor kitchen that I am going to build this summer.

As for a sink, I am fortunate in I ran the PEX under the crushed rock for my paving stone patio. Most of the line is 3' under the patio. I will also be able to blow it out. What access to water do you have? You also have to pay attention to the drainage.

Reactions: chp
Is your hot tub natural gas?
It’s electric. So I could run power in the kitchen, but water and gas would be a challenge. We do have a small kitchenette in the basement that is close, so I am used to using that sink when smoking.

In Floriduh we don't have freezes.

You live in a different Florida than I do we get freezes including some hard freezes that break pipes.

CHP it would probably be real nice to have a sink out there instead of having to go up and down the stairs all the time. What about a water spigot from the house is there one of those close maybe within 100' or so you could use a potable water hose to run it to the kitchen (like used for an RV) then split it into hot and cold hook the hot to a portable on demand propane water heater just use a 20 lb cylinder for the propane. When winter comes just disconnect the hose on both ends and drain everything including the hot water heater.

Reactions: SherryT
You live in a different Florida than I do we get freezes including some hard freezes that break pipes.

CHP it would probably be real nice to have a sink out there instead of having to go up and down the stairs all the time. What about a water spigot from the house is there one of those close maybe within 100' or so you could use a potable water hose to run it to the kitchen (like used for an RV) then split it into hot and cold hook the hot to a portable on demand propane water heater just use a 20 lb cylinder for the propane. When winter comes just disconnect the hose on both ends and drain everything including the hot water heater.
Good ideas. I do have a hose bib pretty close and could tuck a little electric hot water heater under the counter. When winter hits, just shut it down for the season.

If you put a privacy fence around that 8X8' area your wife might hot tub naked, forget about the damn kitchen. :emoji_blush:

Reactions: Plinsc
No, seriously, my patio looks similar and is walk out from the basement. I had the same problem and my solution was to put in a wet bar and cabinets in the family room just inside. Just a though. But do consider that fence. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Plinsc
No, seriously, my patio looks similar and is walk out from the basement. I had the same problem and my solution was to put in a wet bar and cabinets in the family room just inside. Just a though. But do consider that fence. :emoji_laughing:
I like a wet bar as a part of it. I also saw a ‘window wall’ idea for a windbreak too. Our place is in the foothills and many plans for smoking have been changed by our winds. Not a fence, but something to break the wind would be nice!

Not a fence, but something to break the wind would be nice!
Arborvitae Green giant makes a nice natural screen / wind break . They get 12 ' tall 3 or 4 ' diameter . Grow about 2 or 3 feet a year .
1645193421435.jpeg
I get some high winds through that area .

Reactions: Plinsc and chp
Arborvitae Green giant makes a nice natural screen / wind break . They get 12 ' tall 3 or 4 ' diameter . Grow about 2 or 3 feet a year .
View attachment 526126
I get some high winds through that area .
Great idea. Looks like they will grow in Colorado. The wall I was thinking of for the deck is too close to the house for trees (roots), but there is an area on our place they might work great. Thanks

Great idea. Looks like they will grow in Colorado. The wall I was thinking of for the deck is too close to the house for trees (roots), but there is an area on our place they might work great. Thanks

Arborvitae do make a wonderful privacy fence/wind break. But be advised, while they are advertised as deer resistant, they are not, not if you are in an area with a lot of deer and no hunting allowed to keep the population in check. I spent years trying to establish a row of arborvitae in suburban NJ, dang deer killed them faster than I could plant them. They eat the foliage, but will also nose in and eat the bark, girdling the shrub. The deer here now seem to enjoy the taste of deer repellent sprays, so that hasn't helped, and they can generally get through burlap wrap in the winters I've tried that. The deer even strip my holly bushes, as high up as they can reach while standing on their hind legs. I swear, NJ deer are something straight out of a Stephen King novel.

If I were to try again, I'd have to go with electric fencing. I envision something like the T-Rex paddock in Jurassic Park. It wouldn't have to be as tall as the park fence, but I would definitely want higher voltage.

Arborvitae do make a wonderful privacy fence/wind break.

If I were to try again, I'd have to go with electric fencing. I envision something like the T-Rex paddock in Jurassic Park. It wouldn't have to be as tall as the park fence, but I would definitely want higher voltage.
We have some deer, but more elk. Fortunately, they have only taken out a few fence rails as they pass through.
6CFD19F1-072B-4870-B560-9C01DE67CA99.jpeg

They were munching on the neighbors yard in this picture.

Just remember any cabinets or anything you put out there needs to be water proof, fog rolls in every thing will get wet unless its enclosed, having a roof is great but moisture can ruin a lot of stuff

clueless first time house owner here, this is my first kitchen purchase and I’m not very handy at the best of times. I’ve seen an ex display kitchen online, what do I need to do to make sure it fits? They are going to send me a plan, but I obviously don’t have a plan for the existing kitchen. I can see from the listing that the total wall space for units is about the same, and the floor to ceiling height is about the same. What else should I check?
Are you talking outdoor kitchen or indoor kitchen?

I did end up getting rid of the hot tub and put a hog roaster project in its place.
EBEF6352-9E5D-4E58-BB77-24598A562E8B.jpeg

It’s probably a temporary fix, but it fits in with all the other smokers and does provide a great wind break.
AF9BBAB6-AF52-4223-A066-6E1BC8AA49B8.jpeg

I also built a couple of things from old whiskey barrels. I certainly enjoy spending time out there keeping the fires burning. Still need to figure out a beer pole.

37EE2D18-5D7E-470D-9EEF-381B2CF72ECF.jpeg

Attachments

• 111244F9-410E-4775-895C-151005379B28.jpeg
    111244F9-410E-4775-895C-151005379B28.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 11
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky