Orion cooker thermometer issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nholt274

Original poster
Mar 6, 2020
I bought an Orion cooker last year and have had phenomenal results with it. It seems to be pretty spot on with cook times and everything based off of minutes per pound but on bigger things like a turkey, butt or so on I like to have a thermometer in the meat regardless. Every one I’ve used the cable has burned up on the probe. Anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this or what kind of thermometer I could use that can handle the heat? Thanks

Reactions: Holtunlimited
I have the same issue. I was using a thermopro TP-17. I tried replacing the original probes with some captive ended probes (the thermopro probes have an opening where the cable comes out). No luck. I was running the probes under the lid so there is a point where the body of the cooker touches the probe. Regardless if anyone has any suggestions on how to monitor the meat temps inside the Orion it would be greatly appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky