New Smoker Has Arrived

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
Hello All!

The new smoker has arrived! I rented a small trailer with a ramp from Uhaul for about $28 and it made the move from Academy Sports to my house incredibly easy. It is a Old Country Brazos. I ended up getting 32% off on the smoker on Black Friday - 20% off from Academy Sports and another 12% cash back through Rakuten. It will be a while before I get it going. I live in the northern Midwest and it will be April before I can get a concrete pad out back.

In the mean time, I am reading a lot on this forum and getting a list of things I will need. I received a ThermoPro TP25 4-probe thermometer yesterday from Amazon. I would like to get a thermometer for the cooking lid, as it did not come with one and some fire management and ash removal tools as well. Also, it is covered in oil and I have watched several videos on seasoning the smoker. I can only assume the oil on it is some kind of plant-based oil? Smells like it, but would like to be sure it isn't petroleum or a synthetic base oil.
20231130_192644.jpg

Looks good. Of course it'll be a long winter of looking at it and not being able to use it.

Jim

Also, it is covered in oil and I have watched several videos on seasoning the smoker. I can only assume the oil on it is some kind of plant-based oil? Smells like it, but would like to be sure it isn't petroleum or a synthetic base oil.
View attachment 682262
Congrats on a great smoker and what seems to be a great price!

The oil is likely petroleum based and not plant. Plant based oils would ultimately go rancid, and who needs that?

Seasoning your smoker burns that stuff off which is why we do it.

Looking forward to your first cook!

Oh ok, I was not certain on the type of oil. I will definitely burn that stuff off then.

Congrats , nobody with any common sense would use petroleum oil product on something that's going to be used for food. Hog lard or any animal fat will go rancid, vegetable oils wont, it might set up and be hard to remove. throw a paver under the wheels if you think it will help, I used a lot of smokers over the years on dirt and grass before I could afford concrete, it wont make your food any better but your shoes wont get muddy after it rains lol

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
If it will give you peace of mind... roll it out in the driveway and wash it inside and out with some warm soap (dawn) and water....

Last I was in Academy, I looked at the OC smokers. I didn't pay particular attention to the anti rust interior treatment, but I didn't notice a vegetable oil odor from it. My thought would be food grade mineral oil.
Perhaps contact the mfg. if you are worried.

If it will give you peace of mind... roll it out in the driveway and wash it inside and out with some warm soap (dawn) and water....
That works, but then have to season it to prevent rust.
I know, you're trying to get OP to do it in the driveway and then realize one can smoke from there, too?

I would love to fire it up in the driveway right now, but my driveway is pretty steep. I am going to contact Old Country and ask them what the oil is out of curiosity. I appreciate all of the help!

Yup, they gave you the quick solution via pavers. Cheap and easy. Now go fire that thing up, get it seasoned and show us the first smoke!

Reactions: chopsaw
Congrats on the new smoker. It sounds like a heck of a deal. Why wait for a pad? Just roll that baby into your backyard and fire it up on the grass. I've been doing it for years.

Chris

Just an update on the oil that the factory puts on the smoker. I emailed Old Country and received a reply. I was told by Old Country they cover the smoker in “vegetable oil.”

Reactions: Fueling Around
Just an update on the oil that the factory puts on the smoker. I emailed Old Country and received a reply. I was told by Old Country they cover the smoker in “vegetable oil.”
you are good to go then, fire it up and heat it up to 300 to 350 for an hour or so and put some seasoned chicken thighs in it......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky